The Edge Browser:Why Bother?

jarlmaster

In Runtime
So recently I was messing around on my laptop and thought to myself "Why does Microsoft even bother with Edge/IE?" So I looked up browser popularity/usage percentages and as I suspected usage of IE/Edge as of April 2016 is at 5.8 percent. Edge specifically is at 1.2 percent. So I gave the following feedback.

Windows-Feedback:?contextid=402&feedbackid=a07c4456-2830-4307-9819-5719ce7184aa&form=1&src=2

What are your thoughts? Why does Microsoft even bother devoting employees to browser development? That's a big waste of resources to create something that nobody uses (or would have any compelling reason to use). I think it would be far smarter for them to just simply eliminate Edge and IE and let people just select their own browser to use. Microsoft could shift those employees to other sectors like further Windows and Xbox development.

I view Edge as a work in progress but it has a long way to go in order to catch up with my favorite browser, FireFox.

I think the main reason why MS keeps developing Edge is because IE is severely showing it's age. They need to keep IE around because many people still use it. It's very important for MS to have a default browser installed for Windows because a large portion of the Windows consumer base is pretty clueless and don't realize they have a choice. MS also needs to have some browser that defaults to Bing for the search engine.

Last of all, MS needs to have some browser installed, else how would you go about downloading your preferred browser?

I view Edge as a work in progress but it has a long way to go in order to catch up with my favorite browser, FireFox.

Firefox is my fav too. Edge definitely has a LONG way to go. It will never be anywhere near as good in my opinion.

I think the main reason why MS keeps developing Edge is because IE is severely showing it's age. They need to keep IE around because many people still use it. It's very important for MS to have a default browser installed for Windows because a large portion of the Windows consumer base is pretty clueless and don't realize they have a choice. MS also needs to have some browser that defaults to Bing for the search engine.

Edge was built specifically to replace IE because IE is an old piece of crap. Always was. You make a good point about the browser choice thing but based on data indicating that very few people use IE, MS shouldn't bother. Bing is stupid and useless. Why bother with that? No one uses Bing anyway.

Last of all, MS needs to have some browser installed, else how would you go about downloading your preferred browser?

Well yeah I was thinking about that and MS could make a program that automatically downloads any browser... idk how it would work but it could just be a one time use browser until you actually choose the browser you want. It's possible I would imagine.

I think it will take time for Edge to be up to snuff but it's a step in the right direction. Even though many of IE's past issues were resolved, it still can't shake the bad reputation.

Edge supports many features that a modern browser should. It's also pretty fast and responsive. I'd say the interface needs some work still but is vastly improved over IE. Some very basic addon support would be nice, but remember this isn't for power users. It's targeted at the user who wants simplicity.

I'm not saying I'll switch to it but I wouldn't call it a flop just yet.

However small the usage percentage looks remember that in the grand scheme of things that's still a lot of people who use it.

I don't particularly class their browser to be bad, it works well and you could argue over small technicalities like other browsers. I actually think they've done well considering that it's bound to be targeted by malicious scripts and websites since it comes with the OS.

Not supplying a Browser with your OS would be a disadvantage, besides, it would be an bit of an inconvenience Windows NOT having a browser and you wanting to install Chrome!

In the latest preview builds of Win 10, Edge now has support for extensions. There aren't a lot of them available at this point but once the update gets released to the public, I'm sure 3rd party extension developers will jump in with additional extensions.

At least they have AdBlocker Plus now!

The "Win 10 Anniversary Update" is rumored to be released in July.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom