I have a huge dilemma whether to invest in new build now or wait

mikee

Fully Optimized
recently I have been noticing my computer has been performing worse and worse in games it once ran quite well. I am mainly talking about rust. I played that game last over a year ago and just got back into it today but now when I try to join a server the game uses up all my ram and pagefile, windows gives a low virtual memory warning and crashes rust. At one point attempting to run the game my computer just hard reset for no reason. When I got it to run all objects and players were invisible except for their shadows.

But I digress. I feel like it is almost time to do a new build but the real dilemma I am facing is right now I have enough money to build another 500-700$ build recycling my graphics card into that build. I want to wait for the new AMD zen processors because in the past AMD has been the best bang for your buck option for budget builds. Another issue I am facing is if I build now in my 5-700$ budget range I would be stuck with DDR3 memory and that seems to be on its way out now and DDR4 has not come down far enough into the budget I am working with. I have noticed that games are using large amounts of memory now like in my rust issue. I just don't want to be stuck with ddr3 for another 4-5 years if I build a new computer now.

Last edited:
So you are gonna build a new computer and recycle your graphic card to accomplish better gaming experience?
Your graphic card is old, and it was a low end card when it came out.
I would spend those money on a new graphic card first. See if that satisfies your needs.

You might also want to change that CPU.
What motherboard do you have? You might be able to upgrade the CPU for cheap.
AMD's current socket is called FM2+. But if you have the AM3+ socket, you could go for an FX 9590.

Don't worry too much about the ram. 8gig is still plenty for most people. I am an enthusiast, and even I have 8gig.
Going DDR4 is not gonna give you much benefit today. It's future proving technology. Ofcause, if you were gonna build a system today, DDR4 would be the right way to go, but it's not essential yet.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

btw. Your problems with the game rust, might just be software related

My motherboard is an Asus M4A88T-M I think it only supports phenom II processors and theres nothing worth upgrading too there. My case is also pretty mangled up and was very cheap to begin with. I regret buying this particular case as it is practically soda can steel in some critical areas. BTW I got this graphics card in january I don't know if it needs to be replaced just yet. I did just upgrade my drivers to the latest from nvidia and tweak my pagefile which caused my issues with rust to go away. Doesn't the fx 9590 require a water cooling setup? I basically screwed myself with this motherboard purchase too since it is only AM3 and not AM3+. Also it has 4 ram slots but only supports a total of 16gb. Either 2 sticks of 8 with the other 2 empty or 4 sticks of 4gb. I tried 4 sticks of 8 that my friend loaned me to try and my computer wiuld not post I just don't want to make any decisions that will take away from future upgrades in my next build.

ok, so what graphic card do you have?
It says in your signature that you have a 6670 radeon. that's why i told you that you really need a new card.
But it seems you already have upgraded that card.

Yeah, it's really a shame that your motherboard doesn't have AM3+. Opens up possibilities for some good CPU's for the money. Without you having to also upgrade the motherboard.

Why do you want 16 gig? do you have any specific need for it?
I can understand if your are working with virtual machines or heavy multitasking. other than that, 8 gig is fine.

ok, so what graphic card do you have?
It says in your signature that you have a 6670 radeon. that's why i told you that you really need a new card.
But it seems you already have upgraded that card.

Yeah, it's really a shame that your motherboard doesn't have AM3+. Opens up possibilities for some good CPU's for the money. Without you having to also upgrade the motherboard.

Why do you want 16 gig? do you have any specific need for it?
I can understand if your are working with virtual machines or heavy multitasking. other than that, 8 gig is fine.

I don't need 16GB but I just had that experience with rust yesterday and my friend with a newer amd FX 6300 or something with 16gb ram could run fine.

I have a Zotac GTX 950 2GB DDR5. I haven't been on here in a long time and that radeon card overheated and died back in december.

Last edited:
I set my page file to system managed which lets me run the game normally but now I have other issues that I think are side effects. My pagefile is now 15GB and mostly used up all the time and now my system just these micro lags or stutters when listening to music on youtube while it's minimized and my system and and compressed memory process is using 1.8gb all the time. Oh and it might be worth mentioning that my pagefile is on my secondary 500GB HDD and not the SSD since I don't want to wear out the SSD too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom