Let's talk weapons

The best weapon ever is clearly the F-35. 450 billion to research and develop and an entire program cost of 1.5 trillion over 55 years? Sign me up! The best way to spend money obviously. *Extreme sarcasm*

Alrighty first up.

My Beretta 92FS Compact Type-L. Originally bought for home defense, it has since been retired to a range-only pistol. That said, while I've never lived in a ghetto, or really any bad part of town I have used this one for home defense. It is the only reason that the angry guy making threats couldn't get close to me while I was waiting for the police to show up.

attachment.php

Next, my Beretta Nano (you'll soon notice a theme) with Talon Grips. Use this one for concealed carry. It's hidden on me virtually every time I walk out the door and you'll never see it on me.

attachment.php

Thrid is my new home defense/deep winter carry/hunting side-arm, a Beretta PX4. It replaced the 92 because it was so versatile. Great for being out in the woods with during hunting season as it'll take out all the animal threats I might face where using a rifle is either a poor choice or would raise too many questions & doubts. I'll also occasionally carry it in winter when the heavy leather jackets + multiple layers people wear can render my Nano pretty useless.

attachment.php

Last one, just a snapshot of the Nano resting on top of the PX4 for size comparison :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160430_130857.jpg
    20160430_130857.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20160430_130944.jpg
    20160430_130944.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20160430_130948.jpg
    20160430_130948.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20160430_131008.jpg
    20160430_131008.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 29
Not to derail the thread, you can anyone who wants to talk about it can make a new thread or PM me but most states here in the US have adapted a very "English" things castle doctrine. Our home is our "castle" and if you break in you're assumed to be a threat and we can do anything required to make you not a threat and assuming you don't put extra rounds into them or stab them extra times "just to be sure" you're safe from prosecution.
it's not quite as transparent as either of those...

in the UK you can't "do _anything_ to protect your property" prime example being a guy called tony martin who made the news I guess nearly two decades ago now.

he found his house was being robbed repeatedly, so he illegally bought and illegally stored a couple of shot guns and shot the guys who were robbing him. shooting them in the back as they ran away. I can't remember exactly, but I believe in the dark also... he (quite understandably) went to prison.

a lot of people were saying at the time that an English mans home is his castle and right to defend and all that... that is broadly true, but does not extend to pre-meditated murder...

It has a lot to do with pre-meditation. lets say for example you know that you have skylight and you believe an intruder is likely to fall through it. leaving knifes points up underneath that specifically to injure/kill an intruder would not be legal. (pretty sure trapping your property like that would fall outside of the "you can do _anything_ to protect yourself" that you said above in the US?)

likewise use of highly visible razor wire is legal, and you would need to put up warning signs, cementing razor blades into a wall so that they cannot be seen until they are felt by the guy climbing over the wall who then looses his fingers... can't be done...

And there is a good reason for this. - if your house was on fire you'd want the fire fighters climbing over that wall. if there was someone trying to rob your house you may want the police climbing over said wall to defend your property... and they need to do their job without getting injured.

Keeping a knife under your pillow in that way is kind of setting a trap. you're keeping it there for the sole purpose of seeking out and confronting trouble. so no, its not strictly illegal to keep a knife under your pillow, but if you happen to kill a guy with a knife that happened to be under your pillow, it probably not going to play out brilliantly for you.

Keeping a knife in a draw in your room, or hidden in the wardrobe (lets say you go hunting and are keeping it away from the kids) isn't keeping it for self defense, grabbing a knife from a knife block in a kitchen is just self defence. grabbing a "stanley knife"/box cutter from the tool box is just self defense... grabbing a hatchet from the wood shed... well. you left the house once, so going back inside to confront trouble with an axe is probably now not self defense!

on the subject of grabbing a hatchet. I'm not sure how brutally you may defend yourself. I would guess that is not defined in law!

There are also quite strict laws in the UK about what you can any cannot have. for the most part you can have practically anything in the privacy of your own home. (e.g there are people with Army daggers, and people who own cannons) but there are some restrictions, (e.g you can't have hand guns in the UK at all [I think some shooting clubs still have hand guns for range shooting... but mostly nobody has or wants handguns.) other firearms (and there is a distinction between a firearm which even covers very high power hunting air riffles) and 2 barrel shotguns... there are restrictions on how you are allowed to keep those guns in your own home also. (e.g most be an approved type gunsafe, fixed to a proper wall, (exterior type brick) using the proper type wall anchor bolts, with approved locks...

(no show cases or glass cases any more, outside of approved type gun safe rooms.) - and these are inspected when you come to renew your firearms certificate, (which is valid for 6 years at a time)
you must not keep qualifying guns (firearms or shotguns) in the UK without a valid license, - if your license expires you must take them to a gun smith to store whilst you're unlicensed...

There are also rules in the UK about what sort of knives you are allowed to carry in public.
the general theme of that, is, nothing you might kill someone with.

so that means, no lock knifes, no butterfly knives, no fixed blade knives (over a certain length) because those are all far too handy to stab at things with.
blade length should be not more than 3 inches, (though you can still get a pretty good lung injury with that!) it's unlikely to be heart stabbing length.

and that law would really even cover carrying a screw driver in your coat pocket.

and this applies to blades of any type in public without having a good reason.

consider a good reason might be a chef with 20 "illegal to carry" type knives in a knife roll on his way to or from work...

you also can't take guns out on public without good reason.
e.g. to/from a gunsmith, to/from a hunting trip...

And whilst in the US, you talk about open carry and need a special concealed carry permit, in the UK, you would be expected to conceal any weapons that you had.

and a peculiarity of the Law in the UK is that your locked car, parked in a public place counts as a public place. (so you can't leave your guns/knives in the car and go to the pub.

as a slightly weirder note, when I've said the UK in this post what I really mean in England and Wales, and Scottish and Irish law is devolved, and I don't need to know it/can't be bothered to look it up.

Long and short of it... from the UK, you may get a few shotgun pictures, some people may have riffles. (much less common).
might get a few knifes. Katana type things are probably going to be limited to wooden training ones.
you may find an interesting array of more vintage weapons, - I have a friend who has some swords, including antique English civil war swords, that have clearly been used in anger at some point in their life...

the closest I have to a weapon is a pint glass... (A surprisingly brutal weapon actually)

New Kansas open carry gun law

Wichita, Kan. -- A new Kansas gun law taking effect July 1 allows gun owners to openly carry guns in public.

You also don't need to take any course in Kansas to buy one. It's real dumb. I'm so sick of reading on the news everyday of people getting shot and killed simply because someone got in the argument.
http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Shooting-leaves-two-people-injured-in-west-Wichita-376906251.html April 25

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Police-Man-woman-shot-outside-Wichita-bar-376895051.html April 24

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article73395672.html April 22
http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Man-wounded-in-West-Wichita-shooting-376389451.html April 20

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article73384087.html

http://ksn.com/2016/04/29/police-investigate-accidental-shooting-on-west-kellogg/ April 29

To many people have guns. The police kill to many people because there is way to many guns in the US. It's not safe.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries
Fact: In the first 24 days of 2015, police in the US fatally shot more people than police did in England and Wales, combined, over the past 24 years.
Why do you think that is?
There's way more guns per mile then the UK. I'm sure 1 and 5 houses in my block has in a gun in there. Yeah are police are not trained as well and that's probably a whole another topic.

It's so easy to kill someone with a gun. It's made to kill.

http://perezhilton.com/2016-03-28-c...iously-wounded-zarriel-trotter-south-side-sad

Some of Obama's and Clinton's biggest political benefactors are firms with a financial stake in the sale of guns and ammunition.

IDK man, It's so easy for stupid people to get guns. It just really pisses me off and sickens me.

Sorry, that's my a little rant.

I went to a friends house that I know in the military for the first time and his room mate answered with a shotgun. I'm like really man. I rang the damn doorbell. How the hell do you feel the need to bring a shotgun with you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom