help with Windows 10 upgrade please.

The upgrade path from windows 7 Ultimate should be Windows 10 Pro. Have you tried entering the product key you have for windows 7? It should accept the key. If not you may need to call the microsoft activation phone number for help.

Hi again crazyman143, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the laptop came with Windows 7 preloaded and so I have no disks other than the recovery disks. Is it possible that the product number would be held somewhere within one of these disks?

The licence key should be on a sticker on the laptop.

This will be on the bottom of the laptop and will look something like this:
For_Windows_7_Ultimate_COAS_Sticker_License.jpg

If you can't see it at the bottom of the laptop then it might be underneath the battery.

Ha ha joedman633, absolutely brilliant! I would never have thought about looking there. You are absolutely correct. Thank you so much for this.

When upgrading, you start the process from within Windows, when doing a clean install you boot from DVD or USB.

Yeah sorry I should've made that clearer.

Also OP, if you didn't know error code 0x803F7001 meant then this is what Microsoft says it is

Windows is not activated as your previous version of Windows on this device was not activated prior to upgrade to Windows 10. (Error code: 0x803F7001)

Windows can't activate right now. (Error code: 0x803f7001, 0x800704cF)
You might see this error if no valid Windows license was found for your device when upgrading to Windows 10 or if you performed a clean installation of Windows 10, which requires a new license to activate your copy of Windows.

If you have a valid product key, use it to activate Windows:

Select the Start Start button icon button, then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.
Select Change product key, and then type the 25-character product key.

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors

Last edited:
The licence key should be on a sticker on the laptop.

This will be on the bottom of the laptop and will look something like this:
For_Windows_7_Ultimate_COAS_Sticker_License.jpg

If you can't see it at the bottom of the laptop then it might be underneath the battery.
Unfortunately, after Win 7, MS stopped doing this. Newer machines with Win 8.x or Win 10 no longer have the COA label.

BTW, it's usually NOT a good idea to post a valid Product Key on-line as in the picture above.

Last edited:
Further problem encountered. The product key was entered but then I got a message that says "You are running Windows 10 Pro. The product key you entered cannot be used to activate this edition" error code 0xc004f210.
Can I get over this problem please. Sorry to be a pain.

Do you enter the product key during the installation or once it has finished and booted into Windows?

Fairly early in the installation of Windows 10, a question pops up regarding the product key. Because at that time I didn't have the product key, I ticked the box saying just that and the installation then proceeded. It was then when the software was running that I got the message to activate Windows.

I don't think that I would have run into this problem if I had known that the product key was on a lable on the bottom of the laptop.

I'm not sure if there is a way around this. I am wondering if one possibility would be to re-install my Windows 7 and then start again. Another thought, is it possible to format the hard drive and get rid of absolutely everything and then start again? Another thought comes to mind, what about if I use my original recovery disks which presumably will get me back to factory settings, and then go from there?

I think you may find that because Win 7 wasn't activated or that the activation was done a while ago the Win 7 number has not been registerd as a valid product number on Microsoft's activation web site. I have come across this problem on a number of occasions and it should clear if you reinstall Win 7 and activate it then do the Win 10 upgrade. It's a pain in the butt I know but Microsoft have mucked up the upgrade process good and proper. Who would know LOL. I have, on two occasions, had to ring Microsoft and that, believe me, is an even bigger pain. You are not able to do the activation via the phone system because you do not get an activation code that you need to key in initially to actually activate the Win 7 product code. In fact it does not even put you in to the telephone activation wizard.

Back
Top Bottom