PCI graphics card

flightsim

Solid State Member
I have an Asus P8H61-MX motherboard with an Intel Pentium G2020 running XP. I know its an old system but I want to add a Sapphire R7260X graphics card. I cannot get the system to detect and recognise the the graphics card. Any ideas or alternative motherboard with an LGA1155 socket?

I would suggest you start saving for a new build all together.....that said. Have you checked/looked in the BIOS to see what you have set for default GPU, seeing as that mobo has onboard graphics. You need to disable the onboard and set the PCI slot as primary.

Have a look at your mobo manual to see exactly how to do that.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61MX/

First of all Welcome to CF :). As its an older system and XP has now been no longer been supported for 2 years, The majority of manufacturers would not be releasing drivers or providing support for products to work with an old OS like XP. May I ask why you still use XP. If its for older games and programs then using DOSBox or VirtualBox would be the way to go.

I have been given this system and I already had the R7260X graphics card. I have disabled the internal graphics in the BIOS. I can get a display fropm the R7260X but the device manager only detects it as something like Rage 3 Pro. I have tried installing drivers for that and also the original drivers on disc for the R7260X all to no avail. Is the mobo too old to support the card? XP and G2020 are sufficient for my needs so I don't want to spend too much.

What brand is your R7 260X? Your mobo is fine, albeit it's a micro ATX board. As long as the vendor of your GPU has driver/software package for your OS it should install with out a hitch.

Hi,
The R7260X is badged Sapphire but I believe its the same as Radeon HD7790. I have the original driver disc which is for XP system. I have tried to install Catalyst 14.4 but comes back with errors. I will check that .NET and C++ rintimes are installed.

The XP is up to SP3 and card plugged into PCI-2e X 16 mobo socket and monitor in card output. A the stuff I have read says card should work but OS doesn't detect it. Do I need to change mobo?

Your GPU should always be inserted into the first PCIe X16 slot then check your BIOS the the PCIe slot is selected as primary GPU status and enabled.

Your GPU should always be inserted into the first PCIe X16 slot then check your BIOS the the PCIe slot is selected as primary GPU status and enabled.

There is only one PCI X16 slot but it is a PCI e3 graphics card and mobo is only PCI e2. BIOS has only option to select internal graphics or PCI graphics on boot up. There is no other options.

e3 or e3 is just the generation of the slot and/or GPU and are backwards compatible. Disable internal GPU then make sure BIOS is set for PCI, then save and exit.

Back
Top Bottom