Any thoughts on........

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Password Managers.

I have been reading lately about the use of passwords on the internet.

I have read that I should use a different password for each site that I sign up to. I'm afraid that I am one of those who doesn't do this. I have problems with passwords from time to time and find myself having to do 'resets'.

This situation would get much worse if I had more passwords than I do at the moment.

Do any of you fellow members use or can recommend the use of a 'password manager' programme?

Any advice/guidance will be much appreciated.

I use several... I have LastPass on my laptop, and I use both mSecure and Pocket on my phone.

LastPass is good, except, you know, they had their own security breached a while back... the advantage of having say mSecure on the phone is that it is purely local and I don't have to worry about my password being in the cloud, hashed or no.

I wasn't happy with how long it took mSecure to load up on my phone, so I went to Pocket. Entering a password on a cellphone keyboard is going to take time no matter what, so I may just go back to mSecure, because I like it's organization a little better.

I use Keepass. I like it because:

1. It's open source
2. It doesn't rely on a third party service or the "cloud"
3. It's very small, and can easily be stored or moved around on a flash drive or my Dropbox.

However it lacks some features that some people want. Mainly, it doesn't natively support your browser, so it won't autofill passwords for you on login pages. So you have to go into it and get a password if you can't remember.
Also, the user interface is not fancy. It's simple enough, but if you want something flashy this isn't it.

Thank you for your thoughts on this folks, much appreciated. I will have a look at the links over the weekend. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom