New laptop

chrisk

Beta member
Hi,

I've just bought a new Toshiba L50-C-22P. Wasn't really sure if I wanted it but I fell for the sales pitch about it being all singing all dancing with 12GB RAM, 1TB mem, the latest Intel processor and fantastic Nvidia graphics thing etc, it is also an ex display model from Staples, so they knocked a bit off the price for that as well.

They had to reset everything before I took it away, but I thought that would take it back to as it was when it left the factory. However, it's very slow on start up, and takes ages to get going with the mouse pointer just a constant spinning blue circle for a while whilst it secides what to open. It also seems to be quite noisy, with a periodic whirring coming from the right hand side, which my older laptop doesn't do.

I can't find anything online about known issues, just reviews about it which seem quite positive. I

I was just wondering if there was something i could do to find out if there is a problem with it or if I should just take it back to the store?

I have an older Toshiba that I bought used and I am quite happy with it after doing some upgrades and replacing the hdd as it was removed for privacy. So Toshiba's are great laptops but if yours is not working well I would return it to the store. My thinking is that Toshiba might not service since it was a floor model or if they do it will be with a reduced warranty. So your best bet is the store provided they will take back a floor model.

Here in the US, Staples offers a "free" tuneup. You might try taking it back to Staples and see if they will give your laptop a free tuneup. Just be aware that the "free" offer is really for them to get you and your computer into the store so that they can try to sell you other services.

Otherwise, you'll need to check and see what's being started at boot time by opening a command prompt and typing in MSCONFIG and use the Startup tab to see what is being started and trying to determine which of those are absolutely necessary.

As far as the whirring noise, I'm sure that's the system fan. My guess is that your previous laptop had integrated graphics instead of a discrete graphics card so it ran cooler so the fan didn't run as much.

Thanks for that.

I didn't realise that about the card needing cooling, which makes sense.

Tbh, it's the first one I've ever bought myself and I really fell for the sales pitch. From what he was saying he might have well have said that if I leave it on and go out, by the time I got back it would have cleaned my house for me!

It's just a computer though :) I'll take it back if I have any real prolems, I took out the extra care plan so I can't see it being a problem.

I assume it's a windows 10 model. If it were me, I'd download the windows 10 media creation tool and use that to reinstall windows. When it asks what to keep, id say "nothing." Even from the factory toshiba will preload it with crap that will slow it down. Since its new and you don't have anything important on it, now is the time to do it.

I used to work at staples. The free tuneup is actually quite useful. Take it in and get that done. Should speed things up. If not, reinstall windows.

The demonstration software these companies put on can be very slow, and if they didn't perform a full factory reset it could be a problem.

As the others suggested, take it back to Staples, it should have a warranty. If not, under the consumer rights act you have 30 days to "reject" a faulty item and return it to the seller for a full refund.

I have a P55t-- the noise is from the system fan. Yes, it can be quite annoying at times.

I have noticed that Win 10 has a bit longer boot-up time than the 8.1 that was installed, and there were a number of updates that took forever to download and install initially.

I went and installed Mint 17 KDE on my laptop in a dual-boot configuration, so I don't go into Windows bu once a month or so and haven't spent any time cleaning that OS out, but I do notice that there is a lot of bloatware installed by Toshiba.

I will agree with the suggestion that you get a tuneup at Staples, but then I'd look at what's installed and see if you can unload some of that crap; particularly the Toshiba apps.

Theoretically the boot should be relatively fast on a fresh machine. My brothers brand new HP laptop with a mechanical HDD, 8GB RAM and an i5 6200 boots in about 25 seconds, compared to ~16 seconds for mine with an SSD. If it's taking closer to a minute then you need to take a look at what's being run at startup.

What the hell ever happened to the memristor? Is that technology in development still? Is that going to come with the graphene revolution? Imagine eliminating boots entirely. Your computer stores all of that relevant info in memristors and that data persists even when the computer is turned off. Thus, you turn on the computer and it goes right to the desktop instantly. The pace of technological development/innovation in consumer electronics is slowing and I don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom