Institutes providing app development training

michaelm51

Beta member
Hi all, I don't know whether it is a right place to start this discussion. I would like to know some details about an institute which provides mobile app development course in Toronto. My daughter completed graduation, now she has an interest to learn mobile application development like ios and android. I don't know much about these courses, but I think this field has more opportunities in the current scenario. Can somebody tell me which mobile course would be more better? She told me about one institute in Toronto named Cestar College of Business, Health and Technology. she is saying lots of her friends are studying there. Does anybody of know about this college, If so please share the reviews about this institute.

I'm from the UK so can't provide specific reviews on the institute, I'd recommend using a platform like LinkedIn and possibly contact people who have attended that specific course.

From the perspective of learning to develop, most the developers I know are mainly self taught. My degree course introduces me to new programming concepts but it's up to me to actually learn them, plus my job allows me to shadow some people who already know what they're doing.

Websites like "code academy" would be my recommendation, and trying it herself. I don't know how much a licence costs to develop applications, but I'd imagine on android it would be reasonably cheap. If she has bright ideas then if she can develop the bulk of them herself then that's the best way to learn.

You've probably heard the saying "If you want something doing properly, do it yourself." Well I've got my own version of that for software development... "If you want to *learn* something properly, do it yourself." Inevitably something you're taught, you forget. Something you learn yourself, you generally remember because it was in the context of a real life problem!

Hope this helps.

Joe

Development is "effectively free"

You can code android apps on any platform (including android itself) for free, you can install the app by setting your sources to allow untrustworthy. You can even distribute the app to others for as much or as little as you like, outside of the play store. (Where anyone who installs will need to say that they trust you.)

With Apple it is more complicated, again the tools are free, but to install you essentially can't install apps from outside the walled garden of the AppStore, unless you jail break.

To further complicate matters, Apple won't accept code that is not compiled on a Mac, (and it has to be a recent (possibly latest) tool chain you use - so don't think you can just buy any old Mac, it has to be a new (ish) one.

Companies offer services, you send them your code and they will get it in the App Store... Depends on what you want to do... But I would not trust them. And lots are just packaging up crap versions or your code.

Pay your money and take your chance if you go that route.

Remember with Apple, if your app has downloaded paid content (eg Eboook or magazine) Apple want a cut of the stuff sold on their platform...

As for Windows phone... I expect that visual studio is the way to go? -but I haven't looked into it (the only Windows tablet I have is a full fat one, not an RT one...)

If you are interested in development for Windows mobile rt (as in the arm version) the raspberry pi 2 can run Windows so makes a pretty decent cheap test bed.

Development is "effectively free"

You can code android apps on any platform (including android itself) for free, you can install the app by setting your sources to allow untrustworthy. You can even distribute the app to others for as much or as little as you like, outside of the play store. (Where anyone who installs will need to say that they trust you.)

With Apple it is more complicated, again the tools are free, but to install you essentially can't install apps from outside the walled garden of the AppStore, unless you jail break.

To further complicate matters, Apple won't accept code that is not compiled on a Mac, (and it has to be a recent (possibly latest) tool chain you use - so don't think you can just buy any old Mac, it has to be a new (ish) one.

Companies offer services, you send them your code and they will get it in the App Store... Depends on what you want to do... But I would not trust them. And lots are just packaging up crap versions or your code.

Pay your money and take your chance if you go that route.

Remember with Apple, if your app has downloaded paid content (eg Eboook or magazine) Apple want a cut of the stuff sold on their platform...

As for Windows phone... I expect that visual studio is the way to go? -but I haven't looked into it (the only Windows tablet I have is a full fat one, not an RT one...)

If you are interested in development for Windows mobile rt (as in the arm version) the raspberry pi 2 can run Windows so makes a pretty decent cheap test bed.

Back
Top Bottom