Can't use Keyboard or Mouse at Windows Vista startup.

Axeoasis

Beta member
Hello all! I have an older Dell Inspiron 530s i got from a buddy for about $40 a few months ago and an having an issue with it. He originally thought that the HDD was bad, as it would boot up and give an error, although this turned out to be the PC thinking it had a second CD ROM and could be passed by pressing a key. Windows Vista would boot up fine to the login screen. However, at this point i could no longer use my keyboard and mouse. I ended up using the PC for experiments, Going from Windows XP, to Windows 7, to Windows 10 (These three were tri booted), to Windows 8, back to Windows 7, and to Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. All Windows versions aside from the XP installations had performance issues ranging from small to big. I would stick with XP Media Center Edition, however i've found it does not have the necessary drivers for some of my equipment, and i cannot find those drivers (i'm using a VEX USB adapter as a Wi-Fi adapter, life hacks). I've decided to give Windows Vista a chance again, and am determined to figure out the issue this time. It's currently installing and i'm going to test if the power is being turned off at startup or not. Any ideas?

(Sorry for the long read)

(I'm using it as a media player connected to my tv if anyone is wondering, gonna fill it with my movies)

Are you using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, or USB? PS2 usually works on everything. You could also check in the BIOS to see if there are any settings relating to USB or PS2 ports that could be tried.

Neither Vista or XP are really ideal for what you want to do, but unfortunately it looks like those are the only operating systems which Dell provides drivers for on that machine.

It's a wireless bluetooth usb logitech keyboard: Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad K400 - Logitech

Although i do have corded ones available. When i was having the original issue when i first booted it up i was using a backlit wired usb keyboard and a wireless usb mouse.

Good news though with this installation of windows Vista i decided not to make a password, and it seems as though i'm able to use my logitech keyboard. Now all i have to do is update the drivers, although sadly Vista doesn't reconize my VEX USB stick as a wifi adapter card so no internet for the PC ;-;

Glad to hear you made progress. Maybe you'll be able to find another wifi adapter thats supported on Vista. Also be sure to do all of the Windows Updates as I think they patched the majority of the issues Vista suffered from early on.

Win7 uses Vista drivers for the most part, so if Vista works Win7 probably will as well. Just give it 4GB of RAM and away you go.

Back
Top Bottom