Printer Recommendation

crazyman143

Fully Optimized
I need a good recommendation for an inkjet printer for my mom in the $100 range. She wants:

Color
Printer only: no all in one
Wifi
Small

I'm looking at the Officejet 6230. It seems to have good reviews and fits the bill. HP's printer software seems to have improved in recent years, so I also like that. But it's a bit bulky for what it is. She has a very small apartment and so it should be a small as can be without sacrificing too much.

I'll go with the 6230 unless you guys can suggest something better/smaller. Interested to hear what you think.

Thanks!

Check the price of the ink versus the price of the unit. Some times the cost of the ink negates the cheap cost of the unit.

The best printer I know is also an all in one, what does she have against a scanner and fax machine and copier for that same 85.00?

I use the canon mx922 pixma and ink from amazon at 20.00 for 25 cartridges (5 complete refills of all colors)
So far the ink has lasted a year, printing almost daily.

Some times the cost of the ink negates the cheap cost of the unit.

True. Unfortunately I think that might be the case with all models in her price range. But I know that you can get generic cartridges for a lot less. Some printers will accept them and some will not- another tricky thing.

what does she have against a scanner and fax machine and copier for that same 85.00?
Added complexity for someone who will never use it and is far less tech savvy than us.

thanks for the input guys.

True. Unfortunately I think that might be the case with all models in her price range. But I know that you can get generic cartridges for a lot less. Some printers will accept them and some will not- another tricky thing.

Added complexity for someone who will never use it and is far less tech savvy than us.

thanks for the input guys.

If she can read, it comes with a manual, if she can't; read it to her. :)

With all cheap printers that I have had experience of, Epson, Canon, Brother, HP, Kodak etc it has always been nearly as cheap to buy a new printer with ink as it has been to buy the relevant branded cartridges. Yes clone cartridges are hugely cheaper but Canons and HP do not particularly like clones. I always buy Epson printers. They are not the best, although that is a matter of opinion, but I haven't had any that haven't worked using clone cartridges. Over the years I have had, literaly, dozens of printers, (I teach computers and printers do wear out) and never have I had a clone cartridge cause me any problems or not work with my epson printers. I think I currently pay £8 or so for 4 sets cartridges off Ebay.

Now that was just down right rude.

You mis-interpreted that, an offer to help someone in need isn't rude where I live. I go to elderly care facilities and read to the residents there and none feel I am being rude, just the opposite, they appreciate it for the most part, sometimes elderly are no longer able to read due to failing eyesight.
We'll see how you feel after you can no longer read, sir.

With all cheap printers that I have had experience of, Epson, Canon, Brother, HP, Kodak etc it has always been nearly as cheap to buy a new printer with ink as it has been to buy the relevant branded cartridges. Yes clone cartridges are hugely cheaper but Canons and HP do not particularly like clones. I always buy Epson printers. They are not the best, although that is a matter of opinion, but I haven't had any that haven't worked using clone cartridges. Over the years I have had, literaly, dozens of printers, (I teach computers and printers do wear out) and never have I had a clone cartridge cause me any problems or not work with my epson printers. I think I currently pay £8 or so for 4 sets cartridges off Ebay.

I have never had any issues with clone inks in my canon. I'd say stay away from Kodak. They use a clear ink in the color cartridge that is used as a topcoat over everything it prints, even black only text. The problem is that the clear is part of the color cartridge and when any color (even clear) is gone, the whole cartridge needs to be replaced. So even if you never print a single color copy, you will be buying color cartridges as the clear gets used up topcoating the black.

With a Canon, you can replace only the cartridge you used up and all are individual. There is also no clear ink. And the resolution is a lot better than the Epson HP or Brother printers, which to me is important as I sell artworks I create on Ebay. (2400 dpi vs 1200 or less)
Cost per print is also a major reason to go with the Canon. I researched for 7 months before buying and compared laser, inkjet, and sublimation printers of all sizes, brands and price points from the cheapest to the top of the line Xerox dry cube printers.

I have never had any issues with clone inks in my canon. I'd say stay away from Kodak. They use a clear ink in the color cartridge that is used as a topcoat over everything it prints, even black only text. The problem is that the clear is part of the color cartridge and when any color (even clear) is gone, the whole cartridge needs to be replaced. So even if you never print a single color copy, you will be buying color cartridges as the clear gets used up topcoating the black.

With a Canon, you can replace only the cartridge you used up and all are individual. There is also no clear ink. And the resolution is a lot better than the Epson HP or Brother printers, which to me is important as I sell artworks I create on Ebay. (2400 dpi vs 1200 or less)
Cost per print is also a major reason to go with the Canon. I researched for 7 months before buying and compared laser, inkjet, and sublimation printers of all sizes, brands and price points from the cheapest to the top of the line Xerox dry cube printers.

EERRMM we are talking CHEAP printers here. I really really do not think that the OP wants to go down the road of dye sublimation or laser etc although black and white lasers are cheap enough. The resolution is crap on them all. Also the Epsons use separate cartridges as well and, believe me, I have had no end of trouble with Canon printers accepting cartridges. The advantage of a Canon or a HP is the the print head is part of the cartridge the Epson print head is part of the machine so isn't changed when you change the carts. I have never had a problem with that aspect of Epsons though. I do agree about Kodaks. DO NOT BUY A KODAK. Anyway I think the OP has had about as much advice as we can give him so it's now up to him to decide.

Back
Top Bottom