Question for computer techs

Cosmos1

Solid State Member
Hi. I'm sorry If I'm posting this in the wrong section but I'm not quiet sure where/who to ask. :confused: Anyways. I've been considering going to a trade school to become a computer tech. The class is specifically called Computer Systems and Information Technology. I'm young, and honestly its the only trade at that particular school that I'm interested in. Also, I can't go to college due to financial issues.

But my questions here are:
What kind of fields could I go into with that certification?
Would it be hard to find a job in that field?
Do you have to be really good at math, and if so, what kind of math?

I'm really not sure who else to ask. I'm young and trying to find a career path. :hide:

A better place to ask those questions is at the school that offers it. Talk to the dean or the instructor or a counsellor there.

It also depends on what you mean by "computer tech." I am a "computer tech" I have worked in the armed forces, for government agencies over here in the UK and for myself. In none of those roles did I earn very much money, only enough to get by. The real money is in programming, program writing and networking and a couple of other computer oreintated jobs. I can build a computers, I can fix a computer and I can set up a simple network. I can install and reinstall software including operating systems. I can debug a computer etc etc but as I have said I have never ever made what I would consider to be a decent wage. I am now retired and between what my wife gets and and what I get from our retirement benefits I am actually much better off now that I have ever been working with computers.

So it depends on what you want to do in the line of computing but IMO there is no benefit in slogging your guts out day in day out for little benefit. Whatever you do make sure it pays well.

Depends what the course modules focus on.

In my degree, the maths module includes a huge amount, off the top of my head: Truth Tables, Deterministic Finite Automata, Summation Notation, Floating Point Operations, Matrices Manipulation, RSA Encryption, Euclids Algorithm, Congruent Random Number Generators etc.

Join the NAVY and be taught by the finest instructors on the planet. Take courses of your choice for free. And get paid to boot. Travel all over the world.

When you get out, if you don't become a lifer, you can attend collage on Uncle Sugar's dime. If you stay in you can remote attend collage from your ship.
Doesn't cost you a dime out of pocket. Just spending some time doing things somebody else's way. When you get some rank then that eases up some.

Check it out.

Join the NAVY and be taught by the finest instructors on the planet. Take courses of your choice for free. And get paid to boot. Travel all over the world.

When you get out, if you don't become a lifer, you can attend collage on Uncle Sugar's dime. If you stay in you can remote attend collage from your ship.
Doesn't cost you a dime out of pocket. Just spending some time doing things somebody else's way. When you get some rank then that eases up some.

Check it out.

And the navy don't put boots on the ground, unless of course you go into the Marines or the SBS (Navy Seals over there.) This is a big advantage in this day and age of "minor skirmishes" politics words those not mine.

I am not being funny I learned my trade in the Brit army. Wish I had stayed in now in retrospect but I did 12 years and it was brilliant so I am all for Setishock's suggestion.

So many recruiters here. The military can teach life's lessons, but so can living. I wish I'd never gone in personally. Becoming property isn't a good thing.

Check it out.

Another reason I was considering an A+ Certification is because I have poor health. I don't believe the Navy or anything like that would accept me even if I wanted to go.

I also got my electronics training in the military but it's not for everyone. After I got out I went on to school and got an AA degree in Electronics and a BS in Management. I probably could have done as well had I skipped the stint in the military and went straight to school.

As pointed out, computer techs don't make that good of a living but you can use your technical background to leapfrog into other areas. I spent my early career as a tech but then switched to software and just retired after working 30 years as a programmer/software engineer.

I also got my electronics training in the military but it's not for everyone. After I got out I went on to school and got an AA degree in Electronics and a BS in Management. I probably could have done as well had I skipped the stint in the military and went straight to school.

As pointed out, computer techs don't make that good of a living but you can use your technical background to leapfrog into other areas. I spent my early career as a tech but then switched to software and just retired after working 30 years as a programmer/software engineer.

What company?

Back
Top Bottom