Downloading youtube videos with the "ss trick"

alucard10

Baseband Member
Hey guys .
Has anyone here ever heard of this technique of downloading youtube videos by typing ss into the url?

Is this safe?
Is it well known?
I heard about it and tried it on a computer I don't care about.
I was wondering if there could be anything bad on the mp4 files them selves?
so I dont copy them to a good computer.

Dose anyone have any experience with the "ss trick"?

It is safe.
However i can't seem to download the video with a higher resolution than 720p.
You can if you choose to download without audio. I suspect you can pay for it.

I recommend using Keepvid instead. It's free, and you can choose any available resolutions you want.
Just copy phase the URL into the search bar in Keepvid, right click on the download link and choose save link as.

Easy
KeepVid: Download YouTube Videos, Facebook, Vimeo, Twitch.Tv, Dailymotion, Youku, Tudou, Metacafe and more!

cool so the mp4 files are safe.

I noticed that 1060 and 460 sound is crossed out ,but i am fine with 720 .

I will check out Keepvid also.

Thanks.

I found the most reliable ones are the ones integrated into Mozilla Firefox as add-ons.

But as always, when downloading videos, this advice is for when the video has public licensing, and can be used/viewed in public places crediting the owner where required.

YTD is loaded with adware and open candy. It's a nasty program to install if you don't have a proactive antivirus program. My ESET suite goes apeshit crazy if I try to even download it.

when you do the "ss" trick it takes you to a sight , it offers you programmes to download,
you can ignore those offers and download the vid.
Im just hoping the mp4 files themselves dont have any problems or bad stuff in them ,if thats even possible for an mp4 to have virusis on it?

Last edited:
I've used YTD previously but because I use Internet Download Manager, When a video is found it gives me a little button to click and I can download the video straight away.

I've never had a problem with YTD, i guess it depends on where you download it from. The one I use is saved on my USB thumb drive. I downloaded it a while back, and it never gave me any problems.

Whenever I've tried downloading and installing YTD the installer either doesn't load, hangs or the download won't start..

Back
Top Bottom