Computer is less reliable after changing the case

Vacuumfan7072

In Runtime
The computer case from my Dell inspiron 545 was becoming damaged so I put the motherboard inside of a generic ATX case, and I have been noticing that the computer can't seem to be stable for more than 30 hours anymore. It has already had issues with automatically coming out of standby either before or after I wake up in the morning which is usually 10-11 AM.
First time it happened I got a blue screen with the STOP code 0x000007E. When I was eating, about an hour ago, the network card quit working and there was no way to get it to function properly except for rebooting the operating system.

I'd appreciate at least an explanation.

If I did have a decent Micro ATX case to use (I do, but they all have motherboards), then I'd use that. I did used to have an Antec "Aria" one, but somehow it caused an IBM motherboard to burn up. A guess from me would be a PSU failure. I didn't like the internal design too well either.

IMO, the only effect the case might have in regards to reliability and uptime of the system would be if there is inadequate airflow causing overheating. Have you checked the system temps while running? You may have a fan that isn't working or you may need an additional fan to cool properly.

The case I'm currently using doesn't have any space for a fan, except for the CPU and Power supply slots. It does seem that there is an airflow problem because I went into Speccy, checked an earlier screenshot and I'm noticing some worse temperatures. The case doesn't have any spot for a fan either, the only way air can get out is through little vents on the front and back, and also through the PSU. The case doesn't have a side panel though, it's just sitting against my desk.
Well, I guess I'll have to go on Amazon sometime soon and get one of those generic Rosewill cases. Thanks for the info.

Did you make certain all the standoffs were placed correctly for the mainboard?
Have you re-seated all connectors?

Did you make certain all the standoffs were placed correctly for the mainboard?
Have you re-seated all connectors?

Yes, I moved and counted each standoff as I was screwing them and then the motherboard in. The only things I didn't re-seat were the RAM and CPU.

I would recommend reseating the RAM. It does actually help sometimes. Hopefully nothing was damaged either by the jostling about during the move or ESD.

Also you might want to remove the heatsink off the CPU, clean and reapply thermal paste. If the heatsink was bumped during the move then a gap could occur between it and the CPU.

IMO, the only effect the case might have in regards to reliability and uptime of the system would be if there is inadequate airflow causing overheating. Have you checked the system temps while running? You may have a fan that isn't working or you may need an additional fan to cool properly.

A case that has poor filtration and/or small diameter fans pushing air too fast for filters to effectively trap dust can shorten components lives by allowing more dust in.
Large intake areas with slower moving air combined with smaller faster outputs causing a venturi effect works best.

Back
Top Bottom