I Smashed Laptop Keyboard Area with Fist...Okay to Use?

jakeny

Baseband Member
I was SUPER upset with a friend who did something to me that I'd rather not talk about...long story...and I'm still slightly fuming about it (since he still hasn't apologized)...when I found out by phone, I was at my desk in front of my laptop.

I was so mad that I took my fist and bashed it into my lap top keyboard area twice.

Amazingly, the computer still works. They keys work, the screen works...nothing is wrong that I can see, EXCEPT that there are two huge dented areas in my keyboard.

No wires or electrical stuff seems to be popping out, but the dents are HUGE. It's like my laptop has two "waves" in the keyboard area. :lol:

Quick question for everyone:

Is this laptop still safe to use? Would there be any physical danger from something like this?

--Radiation coming out?
--Risk of fire? (like if I left it alone when going to class, I wouldn't want it to catch fire and explode, etc.)
--Any other physical risks you might think of, given the description I gave?

I feel stupid after what I did, but now just wondering if it's okay to use my laptop afterwards?

Thanks guys for your thoughts and input!!

Last edited:
No offense but I found the title hilarious to this post.

Well I wouldn't worry about radiation since it's not powered by Uranium 235, and I wouldn't imagine there's a fire danger as long as there's no damaged hardware that can cause any short circuits, but generally laptops are much lower voltage than normal desktop computers.

You could try and straighten the keyboard out inside since I imagine the... impact... will have bent the metal casing on the back - I'd also use this time to inspect other hardware and circuitry for visual damage. And although the computer works it would be beneficial to do a full surface scan if you have a standard hard drive since the knock could have caused damage to the drive platters.

With a bit of luck it's probably okay, this is *normally* what a keyboard looks like outside the laptop (or similar):
S10-3-LENOVO-KEYBOARD.jpg

You may have just bent the keyboard itself, If you know how to take the keyboard out then it might be worth bending it back for cosmetic purposes lol

If you're that worried about it, replacement keyboards can be purchased from Ebay at a very reasonable cost. Takes about 5 minutes to replace.

I'd recommend not using anything until you figure out how to control your own body and mind. It's hard to be in control of anything if you lack self control.

Back
Top Bottom