iPhone apps

Gmcsierra

In Runtime
I guess there was a loophole in apps where developers would gain access to your photos through location services. This is speaking for iPhones. Anyhow what do apps do with photos and other data they collect? Some articles said the apps save it or sell it to other companies. Is there truth to this especially for Apple?

Makes a change from the normal peer to peer questions :D

It's always possible that somebody can find a loophole to get to your data, anything online is retrievable really. Unless you're famous etc, they probably don't want anything to do with your photos. More-so they want data on usage history for advertising and market placement etc. But even in this case, for the most part I would guess it's not an individuals data they want, but statistics from a large group of people in order to help them sell a product etc.

So yes, theoretically they could sell the data.

I noticed after I posted the articles was from 2012. Whenever the app needed to use your location it somehow would get access to photos Aa well since photos use location. But they didn't know if any app creator used it maliciously or not.

Privacy is essentially irrelevant. As long as you aren't doing something criminal the NSA/FBI/whatever don't care what they see. Unless you are a celeb, people aren't going to leak nude pics you might have sent to someone (which you shouldn't take if you don't want certain people seeing them. you assume the risk if you take them and you have to deal with the consequences). Companies can and do get plenty of data on you but just use it for targeted ads which I often find really useful actually. If you have nothing to hide, don't worry about it. Privacy issues mainly stem from someone feeling like they will be judged for what they do in my opinion.

I know companies use date for advertisement purposes such as what you look up etc to build a user profile on your for marketing. I don't know what good they would do wih your photos which some apps need access too. Perhaps just for you to save photos to your camera roll from that app maybe?

Back
Top Bottom