Duplication query

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Hello folks,

I am using Windows 10 and when I go into 'File Explorer' and look at the list of drives on the left hand side I notice that my 'J' drive is listed twice. When I click on each drive in turn they are absolutely identical in their content and so for some reason the original appears to have been duplicated.

Is this normal, and if not, should I get rid of the duplicate and if I should, how do I do it safely please?

Many thanks.

Possibly it is listed under both "Quick Access" and "Computer"

Computer is the actual location while quick access is a dynamically populated list of things you frequently open.

Possibly it is listed under both "Quick Access" and "Computer"

Computer is the actual location while quick access is a dynamically populated list of things you frequently open.

Hiya crazyman143, thank you for your response, however, both are showing under the heading 'this PC'.

Strange. Is one of them possibly a drive image that you have mounted there? Right click on them and see if there is an 'unmount' option.

You could also use Disk Management to check the drive letters assigned to the partitions. In Disk Management, right-click the J drive, select "change drive letter and paths" Remove and re-add the drive letter mapping.

Strange. Is one of them possibly a drive image that you have mounted there? Right click on them and see if there is an 'unmount' option.

You could also use Disk Management to check the drive letters assigned to the partitions. In Disk Management, right-click the J drive, select "change drive letter and paths" Remove and re-add the drive letter mapping.

Hi again, have had a look and no there is not an 'unmount' option shown when I right click as suggested.

I am a bit wary about trying to delete one of the duplicates in case both of them end up disappearing. The two drives that are duplicated are 'E' and 'J' and they are partitions on my free standing Seagate drive.

Interestingly, when I go into 'File Explorer' and look at 'E' it shows that it is empty. However, if I look at this drive via Macrium Reflect it is showing that there is 28.2mb used of 486.3mb, the second partition on this drive is the 'J' drive and holds all of my personal data and there is 99.38gb used of 297.61gb.

The 'E' drive is where I have previously made a backup of the O/S on the 'C' drive and which is what I intend to do again now.

Thanks for trying to help, it's very much appreciated.

Can you take a screenshot and post it here?
I should be able to post it here but first off, how do I take a screen shot and save it? Sorry to appear dim!

Edit: I think I've sussed how to take the screenshot, I just need to find out how to size it so that it can be posted.

Last edited:
Hopefully I have managed to get the screenshot into this post.

Fingers crossed for when I press 'submit'

Edit: It appears to have worked!

screenshot_1.png

Back
Top Bottom