In need of a new laptop

Nothing special about my ssd but it has all my data and programs on it and I want to just plop it into a new system rather than clone it onto another drive for example.

You can't take an ssd (or hdd) with OS, programs and data on it that came from one computer and put it in another, it ain't gonna work well. Most likely it won't boot but even if it does, Windows will get deactivated.

You could save the data somewhere else, clone the new laptop's drive to the ssd, re-install your programs, then copy the saved data back.

Ugh... you're right. Whenever I switched hdds and sdds it was on the same hardware (although one time I used an hdd on two different mobos and everything worked fine). I forgot about hardware specific drivers and all that. Everything should be standard template so upgrading is made a lot easier. I may be able to boot up with the new drive in, get rid of the previous drivers, and then just download the appropriate new drivers. But that may not work out.

Edit:

I gather cloning will result in the same issues as simply replacing the drive

Last edited:
I found software called PC Mover Pro that I can buy which transfers data AND applications. I'll just use that. Problem solved.

Honestly, dude, just go with the fresh installation of a new PC/SSD. Don't try to put in the SSD and fix drivers. You'll have all sorts of issues.

You'll be amazed at how little you miss with a fresh installation. Don't use 3rd party software to move applications. You're going to run into issues there, too.

I found software called PC Mover Pro that I can buy which transfers data AND applications. I'll just use that. Problem solved.
You'll still need to do a clean install of the OS first, then you can transfer programs and data using PC Mover Pro. From what I have read, PC Mover Pro works pretty well but takes a long time to run. It's actually faster to re-install your programs than it is to transfer them. PC Mover Pro is mostly useful for those who have lost or never had install disks.

Last edited:
Good to hear strollin. And yeah I know about the clean install. When the time comes I'll use pc move pro to transfer stuff from my "old" ssd to the new ssd

Back
Top Bottom