First Gaming Pc Build

Adrian27

Beta member
I have decided to give building my own computer a go after seeing many others attempting to build their own. I just want to be able to play current games (DayZ, Rust, H1Z1, CS:GO) on high quality.All advice and recommendations are appreciated

Gm6oLxO.png

Looks good to me! I prefer Nvidia to AMD but the 390 is a good card. It's a great build and you won't be disappointed with it.

Looks like a solid build.
However i am a little curious about that ram. Why 16 gig?
It's also quite expensive. 165 AUD is 115 USD. That seems quite a lot.
I know Australia have higher prices on hardware, but it's still too much to pay for your needs.
Go with a 2x4 gig kit for no more than 70 USD. That will be plenty. Maybe buy it from an American site to save a little extra.

Also if you are serious about competitive gaming, i'll not recommend going WiFi.
Your Ping will be higher, and therefor be at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that you didn't include the price of the Western Digital 1Tb drive.

Save yourself a few bucks and just get a Samsung Evo instead of Pro. For your use, I doubt you'll notice a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Computer Forums mobile app

I just wanted to say that you didn't include the price of the Western Digital 1Tb drive.

I think the $188 is for the Samsung SSD and 1 TB WD drive together.

A 250GB Samsung Evo SSD is $84 on Amazon here, not sure how much it is in Australia.

I would definitely choose 16GB over 8GB of RAM. I used to have 8, but after upgrading to 16, I would definitely do it again. Boot up times are shorter, programs load faster, everything speeds up.

I would definitely choose 16GB over 8GB of RAM. I used to have 8, but after upgrading to 16, I would definitely do it again. Boot up times are shorter, programs load faster, everything speeds up.

Super easy upgrade later on, though, to just grab another 8GB and throw it in. If he is pinching the budget at all, he'd be perfectly fine with 8GB to start with.

SethWilliams.
The bootup and program startup time has little to do with the amount of RAM in the system. (Unless you have less RAM than the programs and the OS minimum requirements). All the files still have to be read from the harddrive the first time opening the apps and booting the OS. The amount of RAM helps more with the performance of the program once it's open. And that still depends on how much you have open at the same time and how memory hungry the programs are.

I don't know why you feel it's going faster. Maybe you have swapped out some slow RAM in Single channel with fast RAM in dual channel. Even that shouldn't make a huge difference.

Last edited:
I'd change the CPU cooler to a CM 212 evo. I have one on my i5 and it does the job nicely. It's tall so make sure it has room in the case before buying it.
Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO
I use it too, but Noctua seems to be the best in the field.

As for the build, I don't get why anyone would need more than 8GB of RAM for gaming? Two 4GB sticks would make it. If overall performance gets compromised because of the memory, buy another two 4GB sticks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom