Same OS on two hdd in one computer??

Jusoljoe

Solid State Member
Can Windows be installed on two hard drives in the same computer? My problem...I am trying to install a new SSD for the OS and keep all the files and programs on the current 1TB hard drive with only one partition and the OS. I have copied everything on other smaller hhds, (some copies & some backups) but there are problems because I want to use the 1TB for storage and a 500GB as a working drive. I am afraid to erase the current 1TB drive. Some of my copied folders show up as empty!! I cannot migrate from drive to drive because of different size drives. The process has become confusing to me.
Any sage, or otherwise constructive advice, anyone??? Can a backup be installed on a new drive?:facepalm::ermm:

So you want:

SSD - OS
Other Hard Drives - Data?

You may be able to run the programs from the 1TB HDD after installing Windows on the SSD, but I can't guarantee that for them all (as although all the program information will be on the 1TB HDD, there are some registry entries that will be missing from your OS drive (SSD).

To avoid deleting the information on the other drives, unplug them when you're installing Windows on the SSD. Plug them back in AFTER you've installed Windows and then you'll know that you haven't deleted anything. The information should be visble on them just as if they were memory sticks.

Thanks for your clear reply. Although I have run a complete Backup on another drive, I'm not sure what it contains because I cannot open that "restore" file without restoring it, which, of course, I do not want to do. When I am sure I have all my files and pictures, I will clear the 1TB HDD for storage. I hope then to install both Photoshop & Lightroom on the SSD and run from there, with all the other programs on a separate 500GB drive. I won't clear the 1TB until I know for sure the other way will work.
Thanks again for your informative reply.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom