Blabbering about days past!

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
Been having an adventure courtesy of HM Passport office ahead of a trip to the Czech republic I'm undertaking later in the year.

Been compiling supporting documents for a passport application (weird for a 21 year old to have never held a passport, but I'm proper working class :lol:)

So I was mulling through when I noticed my mum has provided her birth certificate as part of the aforementioned supporting documentation, and for some reason it fascinates me.

Main thing I noticed (this was issued in January 1962) was the lack of an 'occupation of mother' which is present on my birth certificate... I already knew that women didn't have much of a foothold in the workplace in the 60s - especially those born in the 30s, but it's just weird seeing it attributed to my family :angel:

Other interesting things include that the county has a different name entirely (was renamed sometime in the 70s, and the local councils were amalgamated into a country council around that time too) and that I learned my grandfather was a Lance Corporal at the time of my mother's birth. Since he never really tells the tales of that time in his life it's an interesting thing to know.

Don't mind me, just blathering away about stuff from long ago - whenever I pick up a piece of paper from days of old I get all wistful :lol:

Took my mom and sisters to my aunt and fled to my cousins and played classic video games including Micro Machines, Streets of Rage, Sunset Riders and Ninja Turtles, had grills with them then took my family back home.

That's about it lately :D

My life is boring, thanks to my stupid 48/6 job.

Last week I tuned to my car to not stall on coasting. That was really stupid. It took days and many experiments to get the correct tune.

... Been compiling supporting documents for a passport application (weird for a 21 year old to have never held a passport, but I'm proper working class :lol:) ...
Why is it weird for a 21 year old to have never had a passport? I'm 62 and never had a passport. Don't see the need to get one in the future either.

When I was in the Army ('71-'74), I spent 13 months in Korea which pretty much cured my desire to be a world traveler. I've also visited our 2 neighboring countries, Canada and Mexico. I know there are lots of other places to visit in the world, I just don't have the desire to go to any of them.

Now that I'm retired, I will probably do some traveling but will stick to traveling within the US.

I think it's a bit more normal across the pond to not go abroad much, but living on a tiny Island about the size of a single US state with not much on it and crap weather everywhere it's pretty unusual for someone of 21 to have never held a passport :p

I think it's a bit more normal across the pond to not go abroad much, but living on a tiny Island about the size of a single US state with not much on it and crap weather everywhere it's pretty unusual for someone of 21 to have never held a passport :p
That's a good point regarding the size of the UK vs the US.

Do you need a passport to drive to France via the Chunnel? What about going between Britain and Scotland? We used to be able to cross over to either Canada or Mexico without a passport. I believe that's still true for Canada but not so Mexico.

That's a good point regarding the size of the UK vs the US.

Do you need a passport to drive to France via the Chunnel? What about going between Britain and Scotland? We used to be able to cross over to either Canada or Mexico without a passport. I believe that's still true for Canada but not so Mexico.

We need a passport to go to France, but to go to Scotland or Wales we don't because they're both part of the UK :)

Why is it weird for a 21 year old to have never had a passport? I'm 62 and never had a passport. Don't see the need to get one in the future either.

As the UK is geographically smaller with cheaper access to foreign countries it is more usual for us to go outside the country.
whilst there is plenty to see and do in the UK, it's not quite like the US where you have pretty much all kinds of geography...

e.g I was first listed on my parents passport when I was 7. first time I had my own passport (first time I went out the country without my parents) was when I was 14...

I know the joy of a paperwork adventure courtesy of a government, I've been on one getting a Visa for a trip to the states recently!

Why are you going to czech? business or pleasure?

Back
Top Bottom