(My first build) Is this rig any good?

Inlinetom

Beta member
So I am building my first gaming rig. I like to game seriously on games that eat up graphics and ram like a beast. Would these be good and compatible.
Specs:
Ram: HyperX FURY Series 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit

PSU: Corsair Professional Series AX 760 Watt ATX/EPS Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum Power Supply Unit

Graphics card: ASUS STRIX-R9380-DC2-4GD5-GAMING AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB - graphics cards (AMD, Radeon R9 380, 2560 x 1600 pixels, 4 GB, GDDR5-SDRAM, 256 bit)

CPU: Intel Core i7 i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150)

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard (1x DDR3, 6x USB3.0, 8x USB2.0, GBE, LAN, HDMI, DVI, VGA)

Cooler: Cooler Master RL-N12X-24PK-R1 Nepton 120XL "Ultra High Performance, Closed Loop Liquid Cooler, 2 Silencio Fan, 120mm Radiator"

Case: Corsair CC-9011052-WW Carbide Series SPEC-03 Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case with Red LED Fan

Looking at the specs i am not liking that "game seriously on games that eat up graphics and ram like a beast" statement.

It's a great card, but it's still a mid-high end gaming card.
It performs about as a GTX 970. But that is still gonna be plenty for most people.
Just not someone who is looking for a gaming beast as you say you are. If you game on 1440p or higher, go with the 390 or 390X.

About the CPU, and Motherboard:
Have you considered going Skylake? It's not gonna be much more expensive.
You are buying outdated hardware. Only recently outdated, but outdated non the less.
Also the difference between an i7 and an i5 in gaming are non existent.
So choosing a I5 might be good idea. The price difference should almost be enough for that R9-390 instead.
Gonna be a better gaming computer for the price.

Last edited:
Would you be able to tell me a good skylake i5 or i7 that would fit my motherboard? either one would do.

Last edited:
non of them are supported on that motherboard. But say you choose a supporting motherboard, the Intel Core i5-6500 is in my opinion the best bang for the bug CPU among the I5's and I7's.
It's exactly 200 bucks on Amazon.

I agree with Biker. Go with a GTX 980Ti if you want the best of the best. It's expensive but if you really want to "game like a beast" then that's as good as it gets. Definitely go skylake; i5-6600K and then overclock that bad boy. Everything else looks great! Make sure to get a nice SSD (I recommend the Samsung 850 Evo) and a large mechanical drive for all your games.

Ohh yeah, the Evo from Samsung is a fantastic SSD. Good call Jarl. I have one of those myself.

I'll quickly say, The CPU Jarl suggested is the better CPU for sure. No doubt about it, but it also comes with a higher price.
If you are not gonna overclock, it's not gonna be worth the extra money in my opinion (60-70 bucks).

Last edited:
Yeah definitely, I bought a 250GB EVO 850 for my Dad and thought it was brilliant, so got myself the 500GB...

If OP is spending money on a PC with this spec, then an SSD (like the EVO 850) is definite item to add to the parts list, on my i5 laptop, Windows 10 boots in about 15 seconds from cold.

As for the CPU, I'd actually go for an i5 instead (the i7 really gives so little benefit for gaming it's not worth it), and spend a bit more on the graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom