Old Computer Salvage

PrinceTaz

Beta member
So I have four old computer desktops that I no longer use, the parts are still good. I want to ask the best way to modify these so I can make the best computer I can with what I have. Im going to list the computers best I can.

1. Dell Computer (Can't find the name)
  • a. Serial No: 2KJWKC1
  • Model No: DCNE
  • Mfg. Date: 022007
  • On the back where the ports are, it says: "2KJWKC1"

2. HP Pavilion p6710f PC
  • Serial No: 4CE0480X02
  • Product No. BV530AA#ABA
  • Model No. p6710f
  • AMD Athlon || 640 Quad-Core Processor
  • 4GB DDR3 system memory
  • ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics
  • Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
  • 1TB hard drive
  • SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
3. Intel Computer
  • Only thing written on this is these numbers: C66020-001
  • And 272356
  • P/N: 91.97020.B50
  • S/N: 54017468
  • "Intel Celeron D Inside"
4. Dell Dimension 4600
  • "Intel Inside - pentium 4"
  • Service Tag: 235JQ31
  • Express Service Code: 4544281549
5. I also have a 1TB extra hard drive that I found in the garage

So basically what I am asking the geniuses on this forum, is to please help me out with switching and rearranging around parts the make the best desirable computer that I can make with the parts that I have. I know it seems like a long and tedious process and a lot of work for someone you don't even know or will benefit from but please I'm really asking some help. I'm new with computer hardware and how it works compatibility wise, thanks a lot.

I can really only find specs on the HP Pavilion based on the information given. Id say the best way to figure this out is pull the hardware out and google each one separately and compare.

I guess the first step is deciding what case will fit your plans the best.
I would choose one that provides the most space to work in and provides the best airflow.

Next you should search and compare motherboards to best fit your needs.
All other hardware choices will revolve around these initial two decisions.

Keep us posted and we will do the best to help you through the process.
Good luck!

Firstly I'll discount PC 1 because I don't know what it is!

The best PC in that list (from what I can make out) is undoubtedly computer 2.

The RAM won't be interchangeable from the other PCs (3 or 4)
The CPU won't be interchangeable from the other PCs (3 or 4)
The motherboard won't be compatible with the CPU/RAM in the other PCs (3 or 4)
The power supplies will probably be compatible (provided they look the same size)
The Optical (DVD or CD) drives will probably be compatible, if the drive in computer 2 works though, use that as it's newer and more likely to be a modern drive.
The Hard Drives will probably be compatible (again, ideally you want the one out of computer 2).

For what it's worth, if the CPU, and Motherboard work in PC number 2, it's probably worth spending a little money on it if you need to, as it's of a reasonable spec!

Assuming everything works, there is pretty much nothing you can scrape from computers 1, 3 or 4 in order to improve the performance of computer 2. You can possibly add another DVD/CD drive to it, and a little more HDD space (by adding the 1TB disk you found to it), and possibly add another fan to your HP case, but I can't see anything else you can do.

EDIT: Computer 1 is a Dell Dimension C521 from the looks of it, computer 2 is definitely (by a long shot), the best computer in your list.

Last edited:
Yeah PC 2 is the best pick out of the bunch. If you can, Load any OS on to the others and see what info you can get hardware info you can get from them using Speccy.

using my psychic powers* I cal tell you that computer 1 is a dell Dimension C521.

it was sold around February 2008...

it has a 3200 A64 processor and half a gig of RAM. - there may be more RAM in it now if you are lucky.
only a CDRW/DVD drive, which seems a bit tight on behalf of dell.

Computer 2 is the winner really! aside from HDDs (for a little more storage) the rest are pretty much junk by the sound of it. (you may want to keep them to be some kind of content servers etc)

*my psychic powers rely heavily on the service tag that you posted...
Product Support | Dell US

No 1 is a Dell Optiplex 745 desktop so it has one of these CPUs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 1066MHz FSB Socket T with Dual Core technology XD, EM64T, 2MB and up to 4MB L2 cache, EIST and VT (E6000 series)

Intel® Pentium® D 800MHz FSB Socket T with Dual Core technology XD, EM64T, 2x2MB L2 cache, EIST, and VT on 950/960 (900 series)

Intel® Pentium® D 800MHz FSB Socket T with Dual Core technology XD, EM64T, 2x1MB L2 cache (800 series)

Intel® Pentium® 4 800MHz FSB Socket T with HT, XD, EM64T, and 1MB L2 cache (500 series)

Intel® Celeron® D 533 MHz FSB Socket T with XD and EM64T (300 series)

Back
Top Bottom