I need advice on a good Anti-virus, anti-malware program for my tablet

Hi.
I have used several free AV software and whilst doing a reasonable job they did let a couple of naughties slip through. i now use Emsisoft which although not free has proved 100% reliable. It constantly ranks at the top of the AV software programs.
Regards.
Mike

Never even heard of it :eek:

There tend to be a few which rate highly and towards the top, but the free ones I rate well are:
Avira
AVG
Avast

And as for software you have to pay for:
BitDefender
Kaspersky

But don't get me wrong, having a modern AV which is up-to date, whatever the brand, is much better than not having one at all. Windows Defender is surprisingly good and not too much of a hog on resources

And with that you will get hundreds of different opinions as to what is good and what isn't. Just remember that no, (and I really mean none,) antivirus or antimalware programs are 100% effective. if you think about it how can they be unless the anti virus and anti malware program writers have developed extra sensory perception, which a lot of them claim to have, but I can assure you that there is no such thing. I use Windows Defender which is part and parcel of Windows 10 amd Malwarebytes, which is free but not automatic, (there is a paid for version which is automatic) and I haven't had any viri or malware unless I have inadverdantly put it on myself when I have downloaded something. If you use free programs remember that nothing is free. There. more often than not, will be some other software that they will want you install as well. There is usually an opt out but they can be very obscure. The free version of Malwarebytes usually pops up and says it has detected a malicious program but it doesn't always do that. I run Malwarebytes once a month and usually it says that no malicious software has been found. Very occasionally it warns me that I have a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) or two that I can then delete. Also do not expect anti virus programs to detect malware, they don't and some malware can be worse than a virus.

Bottom line is exactly what strollin says, common sense. Watch what you are downloading and don't go to dodgey web sites. If you don't know what it is, either on the web or in your email don't click on it. I am not saying do not use any anti virus or any antimalware. Just saying that they are not the be all and end all of security measures as the companies would have you think and some of them can be real resources hogs as well. Also be careful what you click on.

Back
Top Bottom