Lots and lots of problems

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 and yesterday I ran into heaps of problems, Every time I went on to the internet I was plagued by sites that I did not want and adverts by the hundred. The internet became very difficult to use. I had a message appear, along with a voice that was telling me that a potential virus had been found on my pc and I should call 0800-011-9684 (I didn't) It also said that serious security vulnerabilities had been found.

I have run diskclean (Windows) and also cc cleaner and everything seems to be OK now but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to test that all is OK. Just now I tried to download Firefox and a message came up saying that it contained a virus and was cancelled. I will try again later.

I also tried to download ADblocker (I think its called) but it says that it is not yet available for Microsoft Edge, that is what I am using to get the Firefox download.

Any security tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I've had messages like those before, it sounds like it was a pop-up on your internet browser which was trying to get you to click something. If you closed it then you should be okay.

Download Firefox (like you intended to), install AdBlock and you should be fine! :) If you're interested in downloading a free anti-virus software, try something like Avast, or Avira. Either should be fine. (Don't install both though ;) ).

EDIT: Are you installing Mozilla Firefox from Mozilla's website? Use the link below.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

Thank you joedaman633 (fellow Brummie?) Yes I always try to use the main site for any downloads. I will use your link when I do it again later.
Is it worth getting an antivirus (free version) as opposed to sticking with Windows own?

Thanks again

Nearly Brummie, I only ever put an approximate location. I'm a yam yam!

That's a debatable subject, but in my opinion it's worth getting a third party anti-virus as that's like likely to be the primary thing that the company does, whereas Microsoft runs it's own anti-virus, amongst other software so they're likely to be less focused on it.

The main thing to avoid viruses is to try and be wary of what you click on, a lot of these "pop-ups" (which say a message saying you may have a virus and you need to click a button to scan your PC etc) are often the link to a virus, and are pretty much never genuine! But these (for the most part) are blocked by AdBlock.

My computer did the same thing, but only did it once. I tried to get onto this website in fact, and, well It told me I have a Trojan virus... I didn't -_-

If you are getting ads and popups when your browser is not even running, that's when you should be worried.

Definitely get adblock for either firefox or chrome. I find that the best form of antivirus is keeping an eye on your browser's address bar to ensure you are where you think you are.

If you are getting ads and popups when your browser is not even running, that's when you should be worried.

Definitely get adblock for either firefox or chrome. I find that the best form of antivirus is keeping an eye on your browser's address bar to ensure you are where you think you are.

Thank you, I now have adblock and Malwarebytes installed and no longer have any problems. Should I stick with defender or go to something like AVG which I always used previously?

Thanks again folks

Also if your main browser is Chrome then Google has made a cleanup tool that will look for things such as extensions and programs in Windows that shouldn't be installed. Chrome Cleanup Tool

My main browser is Firefox. How can I set it up so that when I open it, it goes straight to my homepage without asking me the question "Do I want Firefox to be my default browser. It always opens at my homepage but always with the box with the question on top. I have tried ticking and unticking the box but it is always the same.

Before I get to my homepage, I also get an orange screen with the word 'settings' at the top with a list of available apps. If I click on the cross in the top corner, this then closes and I am at my homepage with the Firefox question.

Any help/guidance will as usual, be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom