Downgrade from Windows 10 to 8

Since there are recovery partitions still on my computer, couldn't I theoretically access them to get Windows 8 back on my computer without using my USB drive?

I haven't had the issues of windows telling me there is a critical error which forces me to restart, like what I initially posted. It's been resolved somehow with updates. But I still can't use my touchscreen and would like to, that's why I want to downgrade to Win8.

Apologies for the double post.

The critical errors and the touch screen not working sound like a drivers problem. The Windows 8 to 10 upgrade path isn't foolproof (it uses the old drivers in most cases), and I, like you, had problems with Windows 10 after the upgrade. As you're considering the downgrade to Windows 8, and you'll be installing it fresh anyway and having to find the drivers yourself, it might be worth considering a fresh install to Windows 10 as it won't be any extra effort and you'll see Windows 10 at it's best!

But it's up to you, either OS should work fine and both are as safe as one another, so the choice should be more based on aesthetics and which system you prefer the look of! We're here to help with whichever choice you make though.

Best,
Joe

That's been resolved with the latest builds of Windows 10. You can now enter your old Windows 7 or Windows 8 key into Windows 10 (if you've installed it fresh, meaning your digital signature wasn't registered during upgrade), and it should activate successfully.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 I had to run the upgrade (in order to register the key) and then reinstall fresh using the USB stick I created. I used the .iso download from MSDN though and made my own bootable USB rather than use the Microsoft tool.

What I meant was: Once you've upgraded your computer to Windows 10, has anyone tried doing a clean (not inbuilt downgrade) install back to the previous operating system (e.g. Windows 7) using the original product key? Or is that key now associated digitally now with Windows 10?

Yes I have done that a couple of times. Whilst the original key is needed to activate Windows 10, unless Win 10 uses an embedded key, the original Win 7 key, for instance, can still be used with Windows 7 provided, of course, that that key is not still being used with Windows 10. There is a limit, 5 I think, of the number of times that Microsoft will allow you to use a key and as far as I know that limit still stands. Also as I have already said that key can only be used with one copy of Windows at any one time.
Also I do not think that Microsoft have fully sorted out the activation problems especially when upgrading from Win 7. I have had to ring them twice now to activate a product when I have tried to use the key provided by Microsoft on the little blue sticker. If you find the phone activation process or the online activation does not work then just ring the phone activation number and keep mashing the zero key on your phone. Eventually a human will answer. They may not like it but tough.

Yes I have done that a couple of times. Whilst the original key is needed to activate Windows 10, unless Win 10 uses an embedded key, the original Win 7 key, for instance, can still be used with Windows 7 provided, of course, that that key is not still being used with Windows 10.

Awesome, it would be a real pain if the code became unusable with the original OS! :D

Yes you can. There should be instructions somewhere that came originally with your computer on how to do a "factory reset." You should be able to use your touch screen, though, with Windows 10. To be honest I have never used a touch screen so what I am about to say is purely speculation but I would assume that there is a driver that is associated with touch screen technology. If it isn't working then I would guess that that particular driver has either not transferred when you upgraded or has become corrupted. I cannot see it being in Microsoft's interest to develop an operating system to take advantage of touch screen technology and then, almost straight away, bring out an operating system that doesn't work with touch screen technology. But as I say, as I don't use touch screen, that is speculation on my part.

Back to you original question, you should be able to do factory restore in Windows 10. If you go to "settings" and then choose "recovery" there are various options to recover your computer. This will only recover back to Windows 10 though as I think you have gone past the 30 day period that would have allowed you to recover back to Windows 8. You would need to mash some keys when the computer starts up to get to the Lenovo ( I think that was the make of your pc) to activate the Lenovo recovery procedure. It might also be that you would have had to make recovery DVD when you got your pc. Most computers do prompt you to do that but most users ignore that. Post the manufacturer and model number of your computer and I will have a look. You could try that as well. Just Google it but it should be in your user manual somewhere.

Pete, you are probably right. I've tried to resolve the driver issue. When I go to Lenovo's website and try to find my computer's driver for the touchscreen, it doesn't have touchscreen as a selection. But I agree, it should be working. I tried uninstalling the touchscreen device and letting it reinstall upon reboot. It didn't work.
My computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad S431, it that helps.

I'm not sure if this computer prompted for me to create a recovery disk as I did not set up the computer. The first Lenovo laptop I purchased from my school's bookstore. I got it home, and it wouldn't install the OS. It was frozen on the startup screen. They had to return it and order a new one, and they went ahead and set it up for me. I didn't ask them too - it's not really that hard to boot up your computer for the first time, but they did. Oh well. haha. But I'm not sure if it would have prompted to make a recovery disk though, as it doesn't have a dvd/cd drive.

Ah right re the DVD drive. Having said that mine doesn't have a DVD drive either but mine (a Dell Inspiron) told me to use a USB stick. But if someone else set up your computer, whilst a backup can still be made, the promp will disappear.

I will have a look at that Lenovo model number and see what turns up. You can revert to Windows 8.1 if you want but it will be a clean install now so no personal files. Did you look at that Media Creation tool link I gave you earlier in the thread? If you use that you can make a Windows boot USB stick and put Win 8 back on your pc. I am assuming though that if your pc is newish then it will have UEFI rather than standard bios and you will need to disable secure boot to boot from a USB stick and that opens up a whole new can of worms LOL.

Anyway lets see where we go with that number.

Okay here is a start. I do not know whether you have this but this, apparently, is the manual for you computer. It is a long read but if you haven't already read it through it would be a good idea to do so. I went on to the Lenovo web site as well, there is a link in that document, to look for drivers but it wants "the machine type or product number" so that would useful as well. The Lenovo web site that I accessed is here:-

Select your product - Lenovo Support (US)

Yeah, I did use the Media Creation Tool! Thanks for having recommended that. That explains why pressing F2 or any of the Function buttons for that matter wasn't working to get into BIOS! I had to access it through settings and recovery or something like that. Took me an hour to figure that out. It was a slight headache. But yes, was able to open up the install media on a USB drive.

At this point, I'm thinking I would like to solve this issue and see if I can't get the touchscreen to work without doing a clean install of Win 8 or 10. I might still have to do that though... The lack of ability to adjust screen brightness happened again yesterday and the explorer bar failed. Now the computer won't even start a basic function of the Calculator program! So stupid.

I'm going to try posting in the Lenovo Forums on their website. Maybe someone else has had a similar problem and knows the fix.

To be honest it is beginning to sound like you may have hardware problems with that machine. I have just "upgraded" a Lenovo laptop to Windows 10 and it is working fine. It is an older model than yours and isn't touch screen but all the drivers went on and worked first time without having to go to the Lenovo website. That was a clean install on to a brand new hard drive. I have to say as well that the Lenovo website is an absolute nightmare to navigate. It barely recognises your computer and there certainly doesn't seem to be anything about touch screen drivers there and other drivers are not easily found either. As you say perhaps the Lenovo forums might be a better bet but do come back and let us know how you get on and don't stop asking here someone may be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom