what is your ACTUAL download speed

You can convert the bandwidth in kilobits to transfer rate in kilobyte by dividing the former by 8, e.g., a bandwidth of 20mbps, which is 20,480kbps is:
20,480 / 8 = 2,560 KB/s

Advertized packages aren't the speed you actually get as there must be packets loss.

I'm on 20mbps/1mbps package and I get ~15mbps. Transfer rate reaches a max of ~1,800KB/s. Upload is like ~100KB/s

I'll post pics when I get home!

Last edited:
I'm on 60mb/s, speedtest usually shows a bit more, around 67mb/s, I download say something from Steamat 6.5 megabytes/S

We don't pay for specific speed, We pay for download allowance so 500GB but our ISP everyone heaps more when Netflix launched here last year. Our contract runs out on the 14th of this month and not sure if we will move or stay with our current ISP since the NBN is coming in a month or two.

You can convert the bandwidth in kilobits to transfer rate in kilobyte by dividing the former by 8, e.g., a bandwidth of 20mbps, which is 20,480kbps is:
20,480 / 8 = 2,560 KB/s

Advertized packages aren't the speed you actually get as there must be packets loss.

I'm on 20mbps/1mbps package and I get ~15mbps. Transfer rate reaches a max of ~1,800KB/s. Upload is like ~100KB/s

I'll post pics when I get home!

Updated my connection type from ADSL2+ to VDSL2. Now the download speed comes complete and more. Looks like this connection does not have packet loss, or maybe the bandwidth is more so the full speed comes.

We don't pay for specific speed, We pay for download allowance so 500GB but our ISP everyone heaps more when Netflix launched here last year. Our contract runs out on the 14th of this month and not sure if we will move or stay with our current ISP since the NBN is coming in a month or two.
ISP's give a datacap now>? That's like a crime. If you are not using bandwidth your wasting it. If ISP's are over selling then don't sell what you can't handle. Imo

ISP's give a datacap now>? That's like a crime. If you are not using bandwidth your wasting it. If ISP's are over selling then don't sell what you can't handle. Imo

In Australia most ISP's ADSL/ADSL2+ services don't specify speeds when signing up but mine does say you can get up to 20mbps but never have reached it. But now with the NBN the government is promising at least 25mbps down and 5mbps up and a maximum of 100mbps down and 40mbps up so much like how in the US the FCC voted to raised the minimum download speeds from 4mbps to 25mbps and minimum upload from 1mbps to 3mbps. https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/Guides/NBN-Guide-What-You-Need-to-Know

Divide the number you get by 8 and that's about accurate.

I get around 13Mbps on speedtest.net, and the maximum I normally see when downloading files is around 1.6MB/s which is about right.

when I'm downloading from Steam, I tend to get around 12-14mbps at peak, dropping to 10 at times. I suspect this is more to do with Valve's servers and/or setup than anything else, and that I tend to download at peak times.

Speedtest shows the full 100mbps I pay for

you have to consider the limiting factors at play, though. The availability and size of the file/s you are downloading, the capacity of the webserver, how many other people are using it, how many other people in your immediate vicinity (from your network or neighboring ones) are sapping up the area's bandwidth and so on.

I'm pretty sure by now ISP's have rigged speedtest.net
I have a VPN service and I've used that on occasion to run speedtest.net, in case the ISP is prioritizing traffic to them to rig the results. so far so good. I have 60 down / 4.5 up. The download speeds are wonderful but I sure wish they'd bump up the upload rate.

Back
Top Bottom