We are in a rut

I like the variety of projects guys! This is my current build, a tribute to Trek and Nimoy.

phanteks_shroud2_psu_cover_star_trek_enterprise_spock_nimoy_nvidia_evga_intel_gaming_mnpctech.jpg

We need this going again.
I decidet to change my side panel window on my computer.
I got tired of looking through a cheap plastic window that scratches way too easily.
So i bought a 2mm thick acrylic sheet on ebay that looks more clear and is much more scratch resistant.
I'll show you a comparison in clearness later in the post.

The sheet was too long so i had to cut off a part of it with my Dremel.

I then used my handy little belt grinder to clean up the edge and do some slight adjustments to even it out. Straight as an arrow :)

So now i am done with the acrylic.
I took off the protective film and compared it to the old garbage plastic window.
You can see that the acrylic (the one to the left) is more clear. Look at the colors.

Now it's time to ready the side panel itself.
It has these hinges and a ledge to hold the plastic window in place.
That has to go, otherwise i won't be able to place the acrylic flat on the side panel.

I don't have the right tool for the job. It would take way too long with my dremel. So i took it to work to use a more heavy duty tool. The janitor at work has a lot of useful toys. But for some reason he only had wood saw blades for his jigsaw. I wanted to use the jigsaw because it would be easier to cut off the corners. But i had to use an angle grinder instead and take off the corners later.

image free hosting

Unfortunately i messed up a little in the beginning. Luckily it wasn't too bad, and i can smoothen it out.

Last edited:
At home i used my dremel with a sanding bit to remove the corners and do some rough straightening on the mistake i made.
Then i used my belt grinder to do some more straightening overall and round of the somewhat sharp edges.

The day after my car window trim arrived in the mail.
Gives it a little extra aesthetics in my opinion.
I had to add some glue on the corners. The trim was too easy to pull off.

Now for the double sided tape. This stuff is very strong but because i had to cut it so thin, i added a small amount of superglue on the car window trim before adding the acrylic sheet.

And here we have it. My first case mod (other than changing some LED's)'
It does reflect a little more than the old junk, not too bad and it kinda adds some aesthetics.
Looking straight at it, i can almost not even see the acrylic sheet.

Last edited:
My current project is over here... still in progress, obvs, but I won't be able to get to it until Saturday or Sunday... still not sure what I am going to use it for.

Back
Top Bottom