Black Friday Deals

The Black Friday sales looked good but I'm already tapped out earlier in the month getting my Benchmade HK Turmoil knife.

It was now or never then. Whew!

I saw a Black Friday where they knocked a full 4p off the price of a 500 quid laptop! Bargain....(!)

Bought a few things, but only because I had no idea what to buy as presents, so I just skipped through every single deal and bought whatever piqued my interest.

I saw a Black Friday where they knocked a full 4p off the price of a 500 quid laptop! Bargain....(!)

Bought a few things, but only because I had no idea what to buy as presents, so I just skipped through every single deal and bought whatever piqued my interest.

Is a pence like a cent? so 500 quid = 500 pounds and 4 pence off that means that it was 499.96 pounds? British currency is confusing.

Yeah I grabbed myself a pair of Sennheiser PC 350 Special Edition headset for £75 so I'm happy with that :)

Sent from my DAGGER DG550 using Computer Forums mobile app

Is a pence like a cent? so 500 quid = 500 pounds and 4 pence off that means that it was 499.96 pounds? British currency is confusing.

British currency makes perfect sense!

100p (pence) in the £1 (pound sterling)

As Americans have:
100 cents in the dollar

But we do have slang words like "quid" "bob" "bag" etc.

currency slang...

($)Dollar = Pound(£)
Cent = Penny
Cents = Pence
Greens = reddies (paper notes, or money, as in "you got the greens?/you got the reddies?" when asking someone if they have the money to buy something) (because the ink on a US paper money is green, ink on £50 us money is red.)
Bill = Note
Buck = Quid
Nickle = 5p (we don't have slang for that)
Dime = 10p (we don't have slang for that)
Quarter = 25p (we don't have either slang for that or a specific coin)

a blue is a fiver, otherwise known as a five pound note. (called that because of the traditional ink colours0
a score is twenty, though this isn't applied just to money, you can have a score of anything, and scores of failures to your name, that's obviously american term as well, (hence three score and ten) (3 x 20 + 10, seventy) but it's notably not three score and a couple of monkeys ago.

a pony is £25, because in old india, (in empire times) there was a 25 rupee note with a pony on it.

a hundred pounds is a ton, which I guess is confusing because a ton of weight is 2240 pounds. because in the UK we use the long scale imperial system, - which is why our beers are bigger amongst other things than in the US where they use the short scale, or "queens" system. - this is also why a "hundred weight" in the US is 100lbs, but in Britain it's 112lbs)

but a ton of money is a hundred quid.

a Monkey is £500, again because of the picture on an Indian note. (500 rupee)

and £1000, is a grand, or "a bag of sand"

currency slang isn't half as interesting as the rest of British slang,

where getting pissed is a (fun) thing to do in the UK.
going off half cocked, doesn't mean wandering off with a bit of a chub on.
going off cock isn't a conversion from homosexuality
and cocking it up isn't anything to do with genitalia.

In the US we talk about Benjamins and Grants, 100 dollar and 50 dollar bills. Or just dead presidents in general.

Back
Top Bottom