HP Envy 17T Issue

AlanR67

Beta member
Product Name: Envy 17T
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I wanted to replace the hard drive with a SSD. I read how to get to the hard drive which is ridiculously hard on this laptop. I decided to make sure all was well even before installing new hard drive so after getting the laptop apart I hit the power button. I got a flashing light on the button that has 4 sec delay with a quiet bump noise. The fan also moves every 4 sec with the blinking. I did nothing but take the laptop apart. Very frustrating. Help please!

I'm not familiar with that computer at all but wonder if there is an interlock on one of the covers that's purpose is to prevent the computer from starting when opened. If you put it back together does it work then?

If it works when you put it back together then there may be a microswitch imbedded somewhere that depends on a cover to be put in place in order for the switch to be closed. If you could figure out where that switch is and tape it closed, you may be able to get it to start with the computer taken apart. This is just a guess since, as I said, I have no experience with that actual laptop.

Last edited:
I've never come across an interlock when disassembling a laptop before. I do know HP is trying to make it more difficult to upgrade parts like the hard drive and ram..

I put the computer back together with same issue. I did notice I also had two lights blinking on the right front side of the laptop.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Trying add a picture but it only says add video. Is there a way to add a picture?

Last edited:
In that case, I suspect you may have accidentally dislodged a cable somewhere. Recheck that all of the cables are securely in place.

What 2 lights are blinking? That may be some sort of an code. Is there a pattern to the blinking?

Back
Top Bottom