DIY Guide: Painting Trim on White Corsair C70 Vengeance PC Case

MonsterMawd

Baseband Member
corsair_c70_white_2_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

White Corsair c70 Vengeance Mid Tower case. I've chosen to paint the front bezel and window trim Red. You can use this guide for painting the plastic trim on any manufactured PC case.

corsair_c70_white_1_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Here is my suggested Tools & Supplies:

NOTE: I prefer using SEM brand professional self-etching primer for all of my paint projects because it's compatible with all material types and dries within 60 minutes in 60F - 75F temp environment. You won't find this specialized product at retail auto part stores. It's normally found at Autobody Specialty suppliers or Amazon. It's very toxic for your lungs, so apply in well ventilated area and wear a filtered respirator mask which is recommended with any other Aerosol paints as well. I can guarantee your paint job will yield same results as mine if you use different paint brand / type in different stages as mine or environmental temps.

Large Phillips Screw driver
Large Flat head Screw driver
Micro Flat head Screw driver
Red Scotchbrite Pad
SEM Self Etching Primer (Substitute brand OK)
Rustoleum brand Automotive Enamel, RED
Rustoleum brand Automotive Enamel, CLEAR (not pictured)
Super or Krazy Glue

3m_scotchbrite_pads_120mm_140mm_modders_mesh_fan_grill_mnpctech2.jpg

Red Scotchbrite Pad

corsair_c70_white_3_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

I will also be swapping out the window to non-ventilated version.

corsair_c70_white_4_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

You need to remove the 16x Black screws in the Corsair c70 side panel to remove the factory window and plastic trim.

corsair_c70_white_5_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

corsair_c70_white_6_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

corsair_c70_white_7_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

corsair_c70_white_8_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Black plastic Corsair c70 plastic window trim removed.

corsair_c70_white_9a_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

To remove the front bezel trim, you need to remove the fan filter.

corsair_c70_white_9b_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

The bezel trim is held in place with tiny pegs on backside of the trim. These pegs were melted by the factory to hold the trim in place.

corsair_c70_white_9c_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Use the Large Flat head screw driver to scrape off the top of the melted pegs. You will use Super glue later to re-install the bezel trim.

corsair_c70_white_9d_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Use Micro head flat head screw driver to pry off the bezel trim.

corsair_c70_white_9e_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

corsair_c70_white_9f_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

The front bezel trim is actually four individual pieces, but you can keep the bezel intact while painting it.

corsair_c70_white_9g_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Use Scotchbrite Pad to scuff the surface of the Plastic on both the bezel and window trim pieces. This will help create adhesion for the primer coat. Skipping this step will increase the chances of your paint chipping off over time. You're taking the time to do this job, so do it right and be thorough.

corsair_c70_white_9h_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Apply two coats to apply the primer coat. This will help create adhesion for the paint color coat.

corsair_c70_white_9i_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

If using the suggested SEM Self Etching Primer, allow it 60 minutes to cure, in 60F - 72F temp environment. before applying the color coat. Otherwise if using different primer, read the instructions on the can.

corsair_c70_white_9k_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Apply 5 coats of Rustoleum Engine RED Enamel paint, in 5 minute intervals between each coat.

corsair_c70_white_9l_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Allow color coat to cure for at least 4 hours in 60F - 72F temp environment before applying 3 coats of Rustoleum Automotive Enamel CLEAR paint in 5 minute intervals.

corsair_c70_white_9m_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Rustoleum Automotive Enamel CLEAR gaves the color coat a high gloss and smooth finish.

I will allow the paint and clear coat to air dry cure for 24 hours before I'll handle the pieces again for re-assembly onto the c70 case panels.

corsair_c70_white_9n_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

corsair_c70_vengeance_light_grey_smoked_acrylic_replacement_window_mnpctech.jpg

While I've got the side panel apart, I'll use this opportunity to swap out the factory perforated fan hole window to custom replacement Corsair c70 window with an "Anti-Mac" frosted transparent vinyl window decal.

Stay Tuned for next update!

I'm really liking the Red Trim on thjis case

corsair_c70_white_9o_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Backside of White Corsair C70 side panel

corsair_c70_white_9p_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Comparison of factory Corsair C70 window and laser cut C70 replacement smoked window

corsair_c70_white_9q_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

The Red paint on the Corsair C70 trim has cured for 24 hours and ready for re-installing.

corsair_c70_white_9r_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Anti-Mac Skull decal applied to backside of the window. It looks like laser etched surface.

corsair_c70_white_9s_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Backside of the C70 panel with plastic trim re-installed first.

corsair_c70_white_9t_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Place the Black rubber grommets over the mounting pegs on backside of the Corsair C70 plastic window trim.

corsair_c70_white_9u_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Re-use the Corsair C70 factory screws to re-attach the window to the side panel.

corsair_c70_white_9v_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

New Corsair C70 replacement window installed.

Next stage is adding LED lighting!

Let me add a starter step before priming. Plastic is a petroleum product and is inherently oily to the touch. Add in being handled during the disassembly, and you have a contaminated surface.
If you put primer directly on the surface with out prepping it first, it will do what you see in your pictures, uneven and a little orange peel. Use an alcohol pad or just get the pads in the cosmetic section and a small bottle of denatured (no water) from the pharmacist, and wipe down the parts first. This breaks down the oil and then wipe with a tack cloth. At this point don't handle the parts bare handed.

I agree with 2 coats of primer. They need to be very thin. Between coats let it dry thoroughly. Inspect the surface to see if it had bonding issues like dry areas and orange peeling. Sand lightly if needed. Wipe with a tack cloth. Make sure it's clean. Apply the second coat. Check it again after it dries.
Applying spray paint is as much an art as using an air brush. I'd rather use an air brush because you have much better control over the amount and pattern.
With either get the spray started away from the target then come across the surface quickly with an even stroke. Let cure for a few minutes then put on a second coat. Stop at this point and let dry overnight.
If you're using an air brush break it down and clean thoroughly. What ever paint is left in the AB supply bottle cover tightly and set aside. If you need to put on a finish coat, thin down just a little, the paint in the bottle and mix completely. Then set to mist and mist on the finish coat.

If there's a part of the painted object that slides in to another part. Use a hobby knife and scrap the paint off. Better yet you could use paper tape and mask it off before painting.

Painting with spray cans is hit and miss. The propellant is a fixed amount and the pressure is high. Air brush kits can be had for a reasonable cost. The really nice ones will cost you a pretty penny. If you get one you'll have to get a small compressor to go with it if it doesn't come with the kit. If you have a compressor already, you'll have to dial down the output pressure to work with the air brush. There are secondary regulators you can put in line with the air hose so you can fine tune the pressure.

I would suggest getting one if you don't already have one. They make painting cases and all the goodies so simple. And you can bug the auto paint store to mix custom colors for you. Some do pints while others want you to buy in quarts. Either way you have colors you'll use on many projects. Don't forget to get reducers. Paint out of the can is too thick for air guns and air brushes.

And for those of you reading this thread, paint masks and eye protection is mandatory. The mist will coat your eyeballs and the inside of your lungs as surely as a car fender. Safety first.

Last edited:
Awesome recommendations, Thank you Setishock!

corsair_c70_white_9x_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

After the Red paint has cured for 24 hours, you can re-install the trim on the bezel. Use Scotch brand low tack Blue Painter's tape to temporarily hold the trim before flipping bezel onto it's face.

corsair_c70_white_9y_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Apply a drop of Krazy or Super glue to remaining trim pegs protruding through their mounting holes. Allow to cure for 5 minutes, then gently peel off the painter's tape.

corsair_c70_white_9z_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

corsair_c70_white_9z2_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

The painted trim re-installed on the White Corsair C70 side window and front bezel.

Awesome suggestion, adafruit.com has great prices, too!

corsair_c70_white_9z3_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Darkside LED light strips are 12" long and have 3 pin power connectors so you cna plug them into your Motherboard fan headers.

corsair_c70_white_9z4_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

They're very bright!

corsair_c70_white_9z5_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

corsair_c70_white_9z6_paint_pc_case_trim_guide_mnpctech.jpg

Back
Top Bottom