Not getting correct wireless speeds?

finalfusion

Beta member
Hopefully the right forum for this.

I've recently just moved house and finally got my internet back up (BT Infinity. On the Home Hub 5). The issue I'm having is on my main PC upstairs. My internet speeds should be around 75-80MBS however the most I'm getting on this PC is about 13-15MBS.

I was using my old wireless stick and thought that may be the issue. Went out and brought a new one but it's no difference what so ever. Also, the speeds seem to vary from each USB port. I tried two on the back of the PC which vary at around 3-5MBS speeds, horrendous. Stuck it in at the front now and it's at around 13MBS as I mentioned above. No clue why this is.

It's not the wireless stick. I tried the wireless stick in another PC and that's receiving full speeds. I ran a speedtest on a laptop, again, full speed received.

No idea what route to go down next? Strange that other computers are getting the full speeds but this one isn't. Due to this I haven't tinkered with anything in the BT Home Hub as I'm not convinced it's that.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Your wireless speeds will depend on the signal strength of your wireless. Have you tried taking one of your working okay computer assuming that it's an easily moved laptop, upstairs. You say that the computer that is giving you a problem "is upstairs" and that could well be your problem The rear USB ports are probably facing the wrong way to give you maximum signal, the wireless signal is directional to an extent. One way to go would be to use a wireless signal booster such as home plug wireless booster kit | eBay or use homeplugs with an ethernet cable.

Your wireless speeds will depend on the signal strength of your wireless. Have you tried taking one of your working okay computer assuming that it's an easily moved laptop, upstairs. You say that the computer that is giving you a problem "is upstairs" and that could well be your problem The rear USB ports are probably facing the wrong way to give you maximum signal, the wireless signal is directional to an extent. One way to go would be to use a wireless signal booster such as home plug wireless booster kit | eBay or use homeplugs with an ethernet cable.

Both the other PC and Laptop were tried upstairs in the bedroom too, they both hit the full speeds completely fine without any issues mate.

Okay in the case you, probably, have a fault on your wireless card/stick or the gizmo, PSU, that supplies the voltage to that device. Not a lot else it can be. USB power can be iffy at best so that could be your problem. I still think a wireless booster would be your best bet, cheaper than a new computer.

Back
Top Bottom