New GPU for my computer

Sviat

Beta member
Hi.
I want a new video card (my AMD HD5450 isn't relevant anymore).
Since I don't want to start a discussion with "Suggest me some card",
here is what I consider for a replacement
MSI V305-030R | | Hardware voor € 155,92

So, the price shouldn't be above $250.

But I also think it is worth waiting for HBM 2.0 from AMD.

If you have a better suggestion (maybe, an Nvidia card or different (European) retailer with a smaller price), then say it:)

Thanks you in advance!

It's not HBM 2.0 specifically you should be waiting for, it's the whole package. And to me HBM is overrated. It's a cool technology for sure, but the most important spec on a graphic card, is the GPU itself. If the core can't calculate fast enough, it's not gonna matter much.

We don't know when the 400 series are gonna come out. It's in 2016, but when in 2016? For all we know it could be 10 month from now. If that's something you want to wait for, you are gonna get a better card for your money. But it's up to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion.
That is true that we can only speculate on HBM 2.0. Well, we'll see in 2016. I lean toward the idea of buying a faster card right now.

GTX 970 ftw. I'm rocking one that is heavily oc'ed and its been a dream. Maxes out anything and everything I throw at it. Runs cool and quiet doing it too.

It's not HBM 2.0 specifically you should be waiting for, it's the whole package. And to me HBM is overrated. It's a cool technology for sure, but the most important spec on a graphic card, is the GPU itself. If the core can't calculate fast enough, it's not gonna matter much.

We don't know when the 400 series are gonna come out. It's in 2016, but when in 2016? For all we know it could be 10 month from now. If that's something you want to wait for, you are gonna get a better card for your money. But it's up to you.

Exactly this; this is why the Fury, Fury X and Fury Nano all benchmark significantly lower than the equivalently priced GTX 980Ti

AMD's release cycle isn't what you'd call predictable. If you want something that's cutting edge you really need to be looking at NVIDIA. the R7 and R9 300 series are just re-badged 200 series really, the only difference per say is the amounts of memory; but the GPUs are the same.

I'd imagine AMD will come out with something within the next year, but bare in mind that HBM is still expensive, and anything they come out with using HBM is going to carry a premium.

I'd recommend picking up an R9 card if you're planning to buy soon.

TomsHardware makes these "best graphic cards for the money" articles every second month or so.
They showcase the best cards in given priceranges. Give it a read.
According to them, you are better off spending 70 bucks more and get a GTX 970.
Best Graphics Cards Between $200-$330 - Gaming GPUs

Thanks for the link. Actually, I knew that, but have never thought about it with this background))

AMD's release cycle isn't what you'd call predictable. If you want something that's cutting edge you really need to be looking at NVIDIA. the R7 and R9 300 series are just re-badged 200 series really, the only difference per say is the amounts of memory; but the GPUs are the same.
That is true. And it's a shame AMD cannot do something really new for several years in a row, be it a CPU or a GPU.

Back
Top Bottom