Is Window 10 Really free?

rose100xy

Solid State Member
I went to the site and downloaded where it says you can get it for free. After the download, it asked me for the key. I don't have the key, nor did they send me one in my email.

If you are upgrading an existing install of windows 7 or above that is already activated, then it should not prompt you for a key. The key is generated after the upgrade and you shouldn't have to enter one.

If you're doing a fresh install from scratch, then you should be able to enter your current windows 7, 8, or 8.1 key during setup. But if you're going this route- make sure you have the latest build which just came out (1151), As they've only just added this functionality recently.

Download the latest media creation tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you are unsure of what your product key is, you can use a tool such as Produkey to reveal it. And lastly, as you you probably already know, windows 10 is only free as an upgrade. If you do not already have a license for win7 or above, you cannot upgrade for free.

Last edited:
Thank you. I bought a refurbish Lenova Thinkpad about a month ago from Walmart that came with window 7 home premium. Yesterday I turn it back on, and it read that this copy of window is not genuine, so does that mean I never had window 7 premium all this time?

I would check around the body of the laptop and see if you can find a product key sticker for windows 7. Check the underside of the battery, sometimes they put them there. If you cannot find the sticker then use the Produkey tool I linked above to find out what the key is.

Once you know it, try re-activating by clicking "change product key" in System Properties. If it activates successfully then you are probably ok. If it returns an error and can't activate, I would return it to walmart and explain.

You can get to System Properties by pressing Windows key + Pause

I didn't find it with the produkey, but I did find it underneath the laptop. Thank you! Thank you! I can't believe I didn't think to look underneath. I'm going to save this key where I can find it.

The key on the bottom should be an OEM key which means its basically attached to the computer and if you reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium it should automatically activate. Sometimes you will have to call up Microsoft's automated service and it will give you a code to enter.

^ +1

fremium-model.jpg

*flies away*

Seems your problem is resolved; but no Windows 10 is not REALLY free...

It's a big data mine, if you're not happy giving MS all your habits then here's some info for you:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw

Not watching the video, but if you think disabling all the "spying" components will keep them from collecting all that data. Think again, M$ has been caught with their hands in the cookie jar, and attempting to pull a fast one with too many things lately. Even admitting that you can't fully disable cortana, no matter what is done here recently.

Back
Top Bottom