My New Computer

RustyDell

Solid State Member
Hello, I got a Dell Optiplex 980 SFF, Core i5 processor clocked @3.47 ghz, 320 gb hdd, 6gb ram, Windows 7 Pro w/ Microsoft Office Suite. Is it possible to put it into a mid-tower case?
Thanks, Rusty

The thing with Dell is that their motherboards and cases are a weird form factor making it difficult to put them in new cases.

That's really hard to say. It says small form factor so it might be possible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 7
Should be possible, however your options are limited. that motherboard looks like a mini-BTX.
You are not gonna find a wide selection of cases that supports it.

Last edited:
I have a Dell Optiplex, an older model than yours, but the case is the same. I wanted to do what you want to do because whilst the computer is cheap the small form factor case makes it difficult to bung a decent graphics card or other upgrades in. Anyway I took it all apart and offered it up to my bigger box and found that the rear plugs and sockets are not in a standard position to fit a standard box without carving up the case to make everything fit so it all went back into the Optiplex case. I don't know whether there will be a non-standard normal sized case that your MB will fit into. I didn't go down that road I fitted normal sized graphics board and a USB daughter board and made a bracket that would give the boards support and left the side of the case off. My computer is in a cupboard so aesthetically it didn't matter.

My computer?

Mine's an i5-3570 with 8 gig Corsair memory, Seagate 1TB hard drive, Radeon HD7770 video card, 520 watt Seasonic PSU, SB Audigy sound card and a 24x DVD-RW drive.

All in a nice big aluminum case. :)

Back
Top Bottom