Computer freezes when playing games

King Slushie III

Solid State Member
Hello, the issue I am having is the computer is freezing when I am playing games or have multiple instances of YouTube open. I get no error message and have to do a hard restart of my computer. I get no error messages or any indication of what the error is. I have tried diagnosing it myself, and with help of people on tomshardware. However, I have gotten nowhere with all I have done and I can not figure out what the problem is. If you have any ideas, let me know. I think its a graphics driver issue, a cpu issue, or a HDD issue.

My specs
AMD 9590 processor
3 year old Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD
16 gb Kingston Black Fury RAM
Gigabyte 990 Motherboard
Rosewill 850 watt power supply
R9 390 graphics card
Windows 10

Everything is new except for the hard drive, I kept that from my old computer. I did not have this issue on my old computer.

Extremely difficult to diagnose that sort of fault on the internet especially if you have already done internet diagnostics previously. Having said that you do say that you suspect some components and really the only way to eliminate or prove these items is by substitution. Did your old computer use Windows 10? Win 10 is still very much in it's infancy as far as stability is concerned. Win 7 was very much more stable so if you were using Win 7 previously it could be an issue with Win 10. You could try to run programs in compatibility mode. Playing games or having multiple instances of You Tube running puts a lot of strain on your CPU. This could be a heat issue with your CPU. Some graphics cards do not have Win 10 drivers and consequently use a generic driver. Finally your hard drive could be playing up. I take it it has been thrashing around for a good while playing those games and watching a multitude of videos on You Tube. They do wear out eventually so that could well be your issue. But as I say it would be extremely difficult to diagnose those things over the internet. There are various programs that can test your hard drive. I'm not a fan paerticularly. As I said on another thread those programs do put a lot of strain on hard drives during the testing phase and a nearly gone HDD can become a permanently HDD. So I go back to my original suggestion of substitution.

Sorry that was a long post to basically tell you that I don't know. Maybe someone else can help.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.1)
I'm not sure if this is yours but maybe a bios update

Already did that update. I believe I need to reinstall Windows 10.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Extremely difficult to diagnose that sort of fault on the internet especially if you have already done internet diagnostics previously. Having said that you do say that you suspect some components and really the only way to eliminate or prove these items is by substitution. Did your old computer use Windows 10? Win 10 is still very much in it's infancy as far as stability is concerned. Win 7 was very much more stable so if you were using Win 7 previously it could be an issue with Win 10. You could try to run programs in compatibility mode. Playing games or having multiple instances of You Tube running puts a lot of strain on your CPU. This could be a heat issue with your CPU. Some graphics cards do not have Win 10 drivers and consequently use a generic driver. Finally your hard drive could be playing up. I take it it has been thrashing around for a good while playing those games and watching a multitude of videos on You Tube. They do wear out eventually so that could well be your issue. But as I say it would be extremely difficult to diagnose those things over the internet. There are various programs that can test your hard drive. I'm not a fan paerticularly. As I said on another thread those programs do put a lot of strain on hard drives during the testing phase and a nearly gone HDD can become a permanently HDD. So I go back to my original suggestion of substitution.

Sorry that was a long post to basically tell you that I don't know. Maybe someone else can help.

My old computer did use windows 10. I had windows 7 previously before upgrading to 10. The graphics card driver does has a supported version of windows 10. The hard drive I tested multiple times and found no issues. It may be an issue with the fact that I changed all the hardware without reloading the OS.

Ah yes but you didn't mention that in your OP. Anyway that could cause it. If you load a new OS without installing the relevant drivers whilst the new OS can find drivers automatically these days, providing you are connected to the internet, bits and pieces of the old stuff can get left behind. If enough of that clag is left the computer could start to load it and then come to a dead stop because it cannot find the rest of the program. I never upgrade or if I do, such as when I first put Win 10 on my computer, I will always go back and do a clean install. I also try to let Windows find the drivers for my hardware. It's not perfect but it does a reasonable job mostly. You can download a Media Creation Tool for Windows 8 and Windows 10. With UEFI bios these days it's, in most cases, the only way to load a clean version of windows. The Media Creation Tools can be got here :- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 that is for Win 10 but there is one for Win 8. Normal caveats apply such as needing your licence number if you don't have UEFI bios and if your computer is running Windows 8.1 with Bing there is no media tool. To reinstall that you need to have made a back up disk when you got your computer.

Again my apologies for a long post but I hope it helps.

Ah yes but you didn't mention that in your OP. Anyway that could cause it. If you load a new OS without installing the relevant drivers whilst the new OS can find drivers automatically these days, providing you are connected to the internet, bits and pieces of the old stuff can get left behind. If enough of that clag is left the computer could start to load it and then come to a dead stop because it cannot find the rest of the program. I never upgrade or if I do, such as when I first put Win 10 on my computer, I will always go back and do a clean install. I also try to let Windows find the drivers for my hardware. It's not perfect but it does a reasonable job mostly. You can download a Media Creation Tool for Windows 8 and Windows 10. With UEFI bios these days it's, in most cases, the only way to load a clean version of windows. The Media Creation Tools can be got here :- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 that is for Win 10 but there is one for Win 8. Normal caveats apply such as needing your licence number if you don't have UEFI bios and if your computer is running Windows 8.1 with Bing there is no media tool. To reinstall that you need to have made a back up disk when you got your computer.

Again my apologies for a long post but I hope it helps.

I just reinstalled windows 7. Re-downloaded everything, still freeze on games. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom