My laptop died within 3 months!

CrackerJacker1

Daemon Poster
Asus 2in1 15.6" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i7 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Black Q551LN-BBI7T09 - Best Buy
So I bought this like 3 months ago from bestbuy and I paid like stupid amount for a warranty. I think like almost 400$ and I know bestbuy overcharges for all there stuff anyway so I was already pissed at myself.
Anyways last night I go turn it on. It working it, I noticed it's already plugged in and fully charged. So I leave my room shortly after for like 20 mins. Come back and its off. I go to turn it on and nothing. I check the outlet. It's working. I noticed no power LED lights come on when power is hooked up so obviously the motherboard died on me. I'm just so pissed man. So I call best buy. They said I have to send it in. But I can't just mail it to them.
BTw I'm in Qatar. It takes about 10-12 days to mail stuff back home. Fine. But BestBuy told me on the phone if it's a bad motherboard it can take 3 weeks to get it fixed. Then another 10 days to get it shipped back to me after my wife gets it back.
But, also I realized I ran into another embarrassing problem. I got some photos of my wife on my computer. :facepalm:
We all damn well the best buy people are going to browse through the laptop after its fixed and probably some crazy 4chan reddit that post everything to /b/
Also I got other videos my wife would probably get pissed amount. And turns out I just disabled the password login just 2 days ago because I got sick of typing it in. Worst timing!
So I have to take the hard drive out before I ship it. but guess what?!?
THEY HAVE TORX SCREWS. WTF:facepalm: seriously, wtf is wrong with putting regular screws in it. Treating a laptop like its a freakin xbox. I just ordered a torx box set off amazon but it takes 10-12 days to get it.
Also I need to find a way to get the hard drive hooked up somewhere else. Here on base I can buy portable external harddrives.
http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultr...8&sr=8-3&keywords=portable+external+harddrive
Something like that. The smaller ones. So I'm assuming you can crack the case open and swap the hard drives. That way I can use my friends laptop to delete files on it. But I'm not sure if there swappable. Has anyone swap them?
I'm just really really pissed man. I wrote I bad review on bestbuy website while I was on fire but of course they are not going to post bad reviews on bestbuy website.
I know this is really just bad luck of draw.

If I can't swap external portable hard drives. Let me know because ill order something on amazon to let me hook it up on USB .
Like this.
Amazon.com: SABRENT 2.5-Inch SATA Aluminum Hard Drive to USB 2.0 Enclosure (EC-US25): Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
Sorry guys, this was more of a rant then a question. Hah. I never had a laptop just completely stop functioning before. I gave the case a few wacks to see if it will fix it. still nothing. Lol.

That sucks. I have never seen torx screws on a laptop. I have however seen them on some older Dell PC's (ofcause it's Dell. Always trying to make it difficult for consumers) Hope you get those nude pics back soon.

I'll recommend having pictures like that in an archive with password protection. Some day a friend may ask to borrow your laptop and he might see it.
I remember this one time when i was using a friends PC. I downloaded a wallpaper to his picture folder. I browsed to grab it, but came across an odd looking thumbnail. I couldn't make out what it was, so i opened it and saw his girlfriend nude with everything visible (even the entry (if you get my drift)).
I ofcouse told him about it. He didn't care much i saw her nude. I wouldn't have ether.

Last edited:
Yeah I haven't either. I always store my personal files on my portable HDD and not the computer itself.

Asus 2in1 15.6" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i7 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Black Q551LN-BBI7T09 - Best Buy
So I bought this like 3 months ago from bestbuy and I paid like stupid amount for a warranty. I think like almost 400$ and I know bestbuy overcharges for all there stuff anyway so I was already pissed at myself.
Anyways last night I go turn it on. It working it, I noticed it's already plugged in and fully charged. So I leave my room shortly after for like 20 mins. Come back and its off. I go to turn it on and nothing. I check the outlet. It's working. I noticed no power LED lights come on when power is hooked up so obviously the motherboard died on me. I'm just so pissed man. So I call best buy. They said I have to send it in. But I can't just mail it to them.
BTw I'm in Qatar. It takes about 10-12 days to mail stuff back home. Fine. But BestBuy told me on the phone if it's a bad motherboard it can take 3 weeks to get it fixed. Then another 10 days to get it shipped back to me after my wife gets it back.
But, also I realized I ran into another embarrassing problem. I got some photos of my wife on my computer. :facepalm:
We all damn well the best buy people are going to browse through the laptop after its fixed and probably some crazy 4chan reddit that post everything to /b/
Also I got other videos my wife would probably get pissed amount. And turns out I just disabled the password login just 2 days ago because I got sick of typing it in. Worst timing!
So I have to take the hard drive out before I ship it. but guess what?!?
THEY HAVE TORX SCREWS. WTF:facepalm: seriously, wtf is wrong with putting regular screws in it. Treating a laptop like its a freakin xbox. I just ordered a torx box set off amazon but it takes 10-12 days to get it.
Also I need to find a way to get the hard drive hooked up somewhere else. Here on base I can buy portable external harddrives.
Amazon.com: WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Auto Backup, Black: Computers & Accessories
Something like that. The smaller ones. So I'm assuming you can crack the case open and swap the hard drives. That way I can use my friends laptop to delete files on it. But I'm not sure if there swappable. Has anyone swap them?
I'm just really really pissed man. I wrote I bad review on bestbuy website while I was on fire but of course they are not going to post bad reviews on bestbuy website.
I know this is really just bad luck of draw.

If I can't swap external portable hard drives. Let me know because ill order something on amazon to let me hook it up on USB .
Like this.
Amazon.com: SABRENT 2.5-Inch SATA Aluminum Hard Drive to USB 2.0 Enclosure (EC-US25): Computers & Accessories
If I correctly understand , you want to delete all data from your hard drive. Always you can do it. Buy any USB enclosure for your hard drive disk. Insert disk inside connect to any computer , look at your disk letter ( E, F, G or else) and manually delete all files. If you want to be sure that nothing left on your disk format it.

If I correctly understand , you want to delete all data from your hard drive. Always you can do it. Buy any USB enclosure for your hard drive disk. Insert disk inside connect to any computer , look at your disk letter ( E, F, G or else) and manually delete all files. If you want to be sure that nothing left on your disk format it.
The problem he encountered with doing what you suggest is that the hdd is installed with Torx screws so he had to order a Torx driver to remove the drive.

Yeah seriously, when the hell did the put Torx screws in laptops that seriously pisses me of. Why make laptop that you can switch out ram and hard drive and put torx screws on the case. But your right bk_123 I'm going to start leaving my personal stuff on a flash drive usb HD or something.

I think Torx screws belong on stuff where a thorough tightening is necessary for the object to work or be durable. If a thorough tightening isn't necessary, i'll take Philips anyday. One size screwdriver fits most. So computer manufactures should stop using torx.

How is it going Jack. Did you get it solved?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom