Best "Gaming" Headset for under $100 Canadian (75 US)

hcorion

Solid State Member
Hi Everybody,
So here is my dilemma, my Mom has previously bought me a Cyber Acoustics $30-$40 headset that has lasted about 2 years. She also bought one for herself that has now broken, and lasted about the same amount of time. The idea would be if we could get two $60-$80 headsets, and have them last 4 years, then it would justify the cost of buying a more expensive headset, right? However finding a good price for a good headset is extremely difficult, especially because the Canadian dollar is so high right now.
This is what I'm mainly going to use them for:
  • Recording video tutorials
  • Skype calls
  • The odd game, I suck at FPS and most high-action games.
  • The odd video and song
Here are my requirements:
  • Must have a mic with noise cancelling
  • Should have at least about a 4-year lifespan.
Some nice features would be:
  • On headset or cord volume/mic (+, -, mute) controls
  • To have at least half-decent noise cancelling sound
  • It should be comfortable
  • It should look pretty awesome
  • Wired, I really don't need wireless and don't want to pay extra for it.
You see, my mission in life is to get the best bang-buck ratio possible, but I can be swayed by fancy features. I was currently steering towards the 7.1 surround sound headsets, but I was looking around and saw that Razer Synapse software can turn any stereo headset into a virtual 7.1 surround sound headset. Has anyone had any experience with that, or can test the quality? I also have a dedicated sound card, the Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe Card so just two 3.5 mm jacks should do, right? Also, being that my sound card is made by Sound Blaster, would I benefit from getting a Sound Blaster headset? I was also reading HERE that the 7.1 headsets actually "sound worse then others, because of much smaller drivers". I would also like to note that I am not an audiophile and probably won't notice/care about a difference in quality. The only other problem I have is that my Mom has a laptop and doesn't work (well, if at all) with two 3.5mm jacks and would need to have a USB connector or cost less enough to be able to purchase an additional 3.5mm to usb adapter.
Here is currently what I'm looking at:
  • Corsair Raptor HS30
  • Corsair Raptor HS40 7.1
  • Razer Kraken Pro
  • Razer Kraken USB
  • Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
  • Logitech G230
  • Logitech G430 7.1
  • Sound Blaster Tactic3D Fury
  • Creative Sound Blaster Inferno
  • Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage USB V2.0
Also if you can recommend a specific Turtle Beach Headset, go for it.
If you do recommend a product, please show me a place I can buy it (I prefer newegg.ca or ncix.com) that supports shipping to Canada.
(I spent a lot of time on this so a reply would be great!)

Well it can be preference remember. I currently use the Razer Kraken Pro and I'm loving it. The sound quality is very nice and is quite comfortable. The only thing you need to be careful of is the built in mic that can slide in and out of the headset depending on the situations.

The mic needs to be handled carefully when sliding it in and out since it can be damaged if you're too rough with it.

I'm in the UK so I'm assuming the price are different, I bought mine on amazon. Overall, pretty good headset and they don't go over the top on its design while keeping it very stylish.

Well it can be preference remember. I currently use the Razer Kraken Pro and I'm loving it. The sound quality is very nice and is quite comfortable. The only thing you need to be careful of is the built in mic that can slide in and out of the headset depending on the situations.

The mic needs to be handled carefully when sliding it in and out since it can be damaged if you're too rough with it.

I'm in the UK so I'm assuming the price are different, I bought mine on amazon. Overall, pretty good headset and they don't go over the top on its design while keeping it very stylish.
Hi Kinimod,
Cool, have you played with the virtual 7.1 surround sound on it? I'm using a Razer Deathstalker keyboard, and it is serving me well. However, I can't justify getting a Razer Kraken Pro when I can get a Corsair Raptor HS30 for cheaper with nearly identical specs with about a $45 CAD (about 22 pounds) price difference.

Last edited:
Astro A40s, make sure you get the ones you can hook up to anything. Pc, Xbox, PS, anything...

+1 astro a40 is what i had for a while before buying a stupid expensive one. It's a really good headset.
On amazon its $100. but i remember mine looking just like that but with black and red.
I'm not sure about noise cancelling, but mine had this crazy looking volume control for mic and speaker

Last edited:
Astro A40s, make sure you get the ones you can hook up to anything. Pc, Xbox, PS, anything...
Unfortunately the Astro A40 looks to be out of my price range, starting at $230 Canadian ($150 US) on their official website.
I am not a gamer but a friend who is an avid gamer is raving about this headset:
Turtle Beach X12 XBOX 360 Headset - Newegg.com
Cool, looks like I can get a manufacturer certified refurb for $80 CAD (now on sale for $50) the new one starts at $93 CAD.

Hi Kinimod,
Cool, have you played with the virtual 7.1 surround sound on it? I'm using a Razer Deathstalker keyboard, and it is serving me well. However, I can't justify getting a Razer Kraken Pro when I can get a Corsair Raptor HS30 for cheaper with nearly identical specs with about a $45 CAD (about 22 pounds) price difference.

Sorry for the really late reply. Yes I have in fact. It's wonderful, the best games with Surround sound would include Skyrim or any open world games, really boosts the immersion.

In games such as CoD or CS:GO you'll find that you have better awareness of everything happening around you.

Back
Top Bottom