Recommendation for Ethernet PCI card.

Bill1936

Beta member
Hi, I'm Bill1936. Count'em thats 79 years ago; Need recommendation for Ethernet PCI card. My Dell GX620 w/XP seems to have lost? its external ethernet access. What type of PCI card would/could be a good replacement, wired/wireless.

Ethernet cards are pretty generic, one seems about as good as another. Does your router support gigabit Ethernet? If it does then definitely look for a NIC that supports gigabit.

I have had the mobo built-in Ethernet port fail on several mobos over the years. Not sure why they seem trouble prone, never had a stand alone NIC fail.

Thanks for the update, strollin.
My router is a Linksys wireless G broadband 2.4Ghz 54 mbps . I don't know anything about NIC or Gigabit. How do I find out?
BTW I am having a tough time understanding how to use this forum.:confused:

NIC = Network Interface Card, another term for Ethernet card. What model number is your Linksys router? My guess is that since it seems somewhat older (supports only wifi G) it probably doesn't include gigabit Ethernet so the regular 100MB Ethernet is all you need for whatever card you get.

Something like this should be OK for you: FRYS.com | D-Link

Notice how it states it's a 10/100? That's the 2 link speeds it supports 10 and 100MB. If it was a gigabit card it would be listed as 10/100/1000 meaning it supports 3 link speeds 10, 100 and 1000MB. 1000MB = 1 Gigabit.

Yeah Strollin I think your right, Since its wifi G it will mostly likely on have fast ethernet and not gigabit. Depending on how good your internet connection is you could always upgrade your router and network card so you can get the most out of it.

Sure, you should be able to use any brand of printer out there.

(You really should have started your own thread for this question)

Ah.. but the Ethernet card I have ordered says it cover all 10,100,1000.
The router (Linksys) indicates it IS gigabit . There is a lot of confusion.
Oh well the card is only $15 on sale so if it doesn't work , not a big loss
Your info helped me alot tho. I did research the Linksys info.. Thank you both.

Back
Top Bottom