New wave of spammers

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Heads up guys and gals.

There's a new generation of spammers. They are using virgin IP addresses and new email addresses. These do not show up at StopForumSpam or Kismet. This way they get past the Q and A and SFS doesn't find them in its database and lets them through.
I've has several get past SFS and get in to lay in wait to post something spammy. I caught one here just a bit ago and reported them.

Something members and staff need to look out for is a spammer altering a quoted post. They quote then slip a spam link in to the quote. You have to be alert and read the posts to be sure this is not happening.
Spammers have been tricky in the past and are even now getting new tricks up their sleeves.

The price of peace is eternal vigilance.

That one , I do believe, was a hijacked account. I am not sure of the setting on CF but on TF all new members' posts will be automatically moderated if they have certain key words or HTML/BBCode in them. This one had some posts from 2012 to get it over the limit, but originally came from India while the new post was through a proxy.

Is that a function of SFS? If you don't want to discuss that in the open please shoot me a PM.
SFS is driving my IO over the cap my host set for it. I had to reset the cache time to 1 hour. But it works in turning away over 800 spammers in 4 days.

That one , I do believe, was a hijacked account. I am not sure of the setting on CF but on TF all new members' posts will be automatically moderated if they have certain key words or HTML/BBCode in them. This one had some posts from 2012 to get it over the limit, but originally came from India while the new post was through a proxy.

If I remember correctly from what I know members cannot post links, have signatures or change profile/avatar pictures until they have atleast 25 posts, There may even be some restrictions until 100 posts have been gained but I may be wrong.

Is that a function of SFS? If you don't want to discuss that in the open please shoot me a PM.
SFS is driving my IO over the cap my host set for it. I had to reset the cache time to 1 hour. But it works in turning away over 800 spammers in 4 days.

No idea about SFS, mate. I do remember that the automatic moderation comes from plugins but the word list you can put into vB yourself. The only ones allowed into those sections of the AdminCP are Andy's folks as they took those keys away from us peons.

At one time we were using a blocked country list based on IP ranges, as well as several plugins. We used Spam-O-Matic as well as some others; if I can find the discussions on them I will let you know.

If I remember correctly from what I know members cannot post links, have signatures or change profile/avatar pictures until they have atleast 25 posts, There may even be some restrictions until 100 posts have been gained but I may be wrong.

The links are just for the first few posts. The other privileges increase as your post count rises but we may be revamping them once we merge.

Back
Top Bottom