Graphics Card upgrade for Asus P7555D-E PRO

a 3.0 will shift down to 2.0. Also the vid card goes in the PCI-e x16 slot.

Is there a big difference in performance with a PCI-E x16 compared to a PCI-E? What makes the PCI-E x16 better?

Just trying to learn a lil brush up a bit:cool:

I think the primary benefit of the x16 port is increased bandwidth etc.

Pretty much all graphics cards fit into the PCIe x16 port nowadays. They WILL in most cases actually work in a PCIe x4, PCIe x8 port etc, but the port will be shorter than the cards connector in length, so the end would have to be cut open to accommodate the extra length. Likewise, an expansion card that fits into a PCIe x1 slot (has a PCIe x1 connector) will actually work in a PCIe x16 slot, the rest of the slot will just be unused.

Pic below:
PCI_and_PCIe.png

...I want something that can handle just about anything (for the price range)...
Then the GTX 970 is what I recommend. For future use, see if you can get the 4GB version.

Just something really really good that would last and is a noticable step up from the card that i have now, the Sapphire vapor-x radeon 5870 as stated above.

The GTX 970 is better than the Radeon 5870 by a big margin :D

I am also going to be running dual monitors. right now i have the older 19inch which seems and looks bigger that the widescreen 19in. What is the best size monitor to get in comparison to the height of the older 19in non widescreen.

Before we get into this, what is the resolution you are using? I'm asking this just to confirm which kind of monitor width you have. Is it the one that looks almost square?

The measurement of monitor size is taken by the corner to corner length in inches; e.g. top left corner to bottom right corner. The wider the monitor is, the less height it gets; e.g. standard width 19" screen has more height than wider 19" screens. Basically you will need a bigger wide screen size to have it as high as an old screen size.

Before we get into this, what is the resolution you are using? I'm asking this just to confirm which kind of monitor width you have. Is it the one that looks almost square?

The measurement of monitor size is taken by the corner to corner length in inches; e.g. top left corner to bottom right corner. The wider the monitor is, the less height it gets; e.g. standard width 19" screen has more height than wider 19" screens. Basically you will need a bigger wide screen size to have it as high as an old screen size.

These are what I currently have:

Samsung 940b-BK Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor
1280 x 1024
700:1
D-Dub, DVI-D

Sceptre X9g-Gamer Black 19" 12ms LCD Monitor
1280 x 1024
500:1
D-sub, DVI, S-video

I've had these two since 2005, The Sceptre is on the blink, fading in and out whenever it wants

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

1280 x 1024
D-Dub, DVI-D

1280 x 1024
D-sub, DVI, S-video

SCEPTRE X9g-GAMER Black 19" 12ms LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 500:1 - Newegg.com

SAMSUNG 940b-BK Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 - Newegg.com

1280 x 1024
D-Dub, DVI-D

1280 x 1024
D-sub, DVI, S-video

I've had these two since 2005, The Sceptre is on the blink, fading in and out whenever it wants

Those indeed use an old aspect ratio. For the info, there is even an older aspect ratio than that, that's even less wide.

I don't have a definite answer for this, but if I were you, I'd pick the biggest I could find just to make sure it does not feel smaller. I'd choose at least a 27". I use 4 screens, three 27" and one 60" smart TV. Call me crazy, but I really am crazy! :hide:

Back
Top Bottom