Dual-boot. Win 7 and Xubuntu

Kishore

Beta member
Hi. I am Kishore. I only know basic uses of computers. I have used them for years. I have a huge interest in trying things new. Recently, I heard about Xubuntu. So, I thought I could have a dual-boot system. Now, Xubuntu is in download in utorrent. It is a .iso file. I have a bunch of questions.

1. First, what is that and how do I install the OS with that file?
2. Do I need to know anything or do anything before trying to install it?
3. Is Xubuntu a good one? Or should I try something else?

Please guide me with this. Pardon me if I do something stupid, I am totally new to all this.. :)

Most Linux distros come packaged so that they can be booted as a "Live CD". What that means is that, if you burn the ISO you have to a CD or DVD, you will be able to boot from it and run that OS from the CD without actually installing it on your machine. That way you can test things like whether or not you like the OS and whether it supports things like your mouse/trackpad, sound card, wifi/network card, etc... before actually installing it.

I recommend that you try Xubuntu that way first, before trying to setup a dual boot system.

Personally, I haven't used dual booting in many years. I have multiple versions of Windows and Linux on my machine running in what are called VMs - Virtual Machines. It may require a little effort on your part to learn how to create and use VMs but it would pay off in the long run since you state that you "have a huge interest in trying things new." VMs allow you to run multiple OSes from your machine.

The software to create and run VMs is often free, if you're interested, try this website: https://www.virtualbox.org/

Your cd/dvd burning software should be able to convert the ISO file that you downlaod into a bootable CD that you can use to try the software. Some linux distros will set up a dual boot for you if you install the software. But the best way to try stuff is either using a bootable DVD or USB key or as Strollin suggests use a VM. If your DVD burner doesn't support ISO burning, I haven't come across one that doesn't yet, then a good one to get that is free is cdburnerxp. I know it says xp but it works on all flavours of Windows. I would put the link up but some frown on live links but just google cdburnerxp. A nice piece of software for making a linux bootable usb key is Universal-USB-Installer just google it.

Just using Virtualbox would be the safest and best way to do this. Its good as it doesn't interfere with the host OS and its files and you don't have to worry about setting up partitions and all the nitty gritty stuff..

Thanks for your replies..! I have written the .iso file to a DVD using Nero. It was fine. Going to try it now..

Back
Top Bottom