Install MacOSX from scratch (no backup)

thomas49th

In Runtime
hello,

Got a mac pro 2010 machine with everything except hard disks/ssd. So I bought a Samsung850 250GB ssd and a copy of snow leopard. I booted the macpro (chimes) and if I don't put the cd in I get a flashing folder with icon (meaning it can't find harddirve and/or OS). Fine. I stick the cd in (snow leopard 10.6) and restart it, and after a while it wizzes, but it just shows a still apple logo ona white background. After a while the disk drive stops whirring. Waited 10 mins before I got bored.

Any thoughts? Tried going into EFI what-ever it is called on mac hardware, with my windows keyboard (left alt + left win + o + f), but doesn't seem to be registering.

Would like to hear your ideas

Thanks

Last edited:
I found if I plug the keyboard into the middle USB port in the back and hold alt when I boot, the mouse cursor appears. But (with the cd in) I can only click on the disk, which the just tries to boot from the cd, wizzing and eventually not going anywhere (like mentioned above). If I unplug the cd drive when I boot, holding alt, the mouse cursor appears,but there is nothing to click on. ssd not recognize.

Any ideas?

I don't know jack about Mac's...but if your CD drive is going out, I would get a external CD/DVD drive and install with that.

One of my lappy's have the DVD drive not working, so i bought a external drive and install stuff from that. They're not that expensive. I got mine for like 30 US.

Back
Top Bottom