3tb hard drive only 800gb in bios and windows

Amd64

Baseband Member
my mobo is a conroe kentsfield 1066 quad core made by asrock.
i bought a new hitachi 3tb sata 2 internal hard drive, i plugged it in and booted my windows xp and noticed only 745.5 gb, then read xp i can only use 3tb with GPT, even in paragon partition manager it only shows up same as the bios, 800gb... went to asrock website they have a prog called 3tb unlocker but my mobo is not on the supported list. so my conclusion is that my motherboard is the restriction..

if i buy a sata2 to usb2.0 will it read 3tb? and would it be slow?
if this will work should i just buy a usb 3.0 pci card?

thanks ahead for all the help people!

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

most important question i have and last but not least, if i buy a sata pci card will it bypass the 800gb limit on my motherboard?

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

also should have mentioned that this will be strictly a storage hard drive for movies and rarely accessed

Put it another computer that can see a 3TB drive. Partition the drive in to 2 logical drives. Put it back in your computer and it should see 2 new drives. You'll have to assign drive letter to then and initialize them. Simple stuff.

Next time read the specs of your computer before you spend money on something you may not be able to use and not be able to return it.

i will try that when i have access to a computer that can work with 3tb..
as for not reading first i assumed this pos computer would work with it
i paid 10$ for a brand new in box hitachi 3tb so all in all if i have to spend another 20 dollars in parts to make it work with mine i will do so

but on second thought i dont think that will work. the motherboard bios only see's 800gb, how can show split partitions even in the bios utility.. know what i mean?

not simple stuff. hints why theres thousands of posts about people wanting to know

NAH Just get some one to let you slip that one in and do like I suggested.
There are no problems, only solutions.

tell you what i'll put together my other computer when i get a chance and try it and let you know if it works...

so after booting up my old computer and making 4 partitions i couldnt get any to read on the current asrock computer.

but went to asrock website and they have this 3tb unlocker program for some motherboards, mine wasnt supported but after trying a few i got one that worked and now i have 1.99tb on one partition and 749 on another showing in windows xp. woohoo

Back
Top Bottom