We are in a rut

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

da0dcd67_rainbow-vomit.jpg

Nice read guys, hardware is my thing too. I have to go back to the old shut it down or leave it on all the time.
I used to replace my hard drives all the time when I left my desktops on all the time and none ever lasted more than 2 years, and since I started shutting down when I leave the house and at night when going to bed I have yet to lose one and this goes back about 8 years when I made the change.

The only other thing I have to add is when you leave your pc on all the time, unless you go to a cold boot, your memory never resets and that is one of the reasons you can get some really strange responses that make no sense by using yesterday's memory on today's issue. And Gary, though you got away with it, leaving a laptop on all the time is hardware suicide because they suffer too much from cramped quarters and encrusted filth inside. You are very lucky inho so don't encourage others to do that!

I used to have the drive wearing out issue. Then I started setting the platters to wind down after 20 minutes. The main drive is SSD so the only other moving parts are the fans.
As for my laptop's, I don't leave them running for long due to the heating issues they have. Even clean, laptops just don't have an all great and wonderful cooling system.

Last edited:
And now for a break from the computer life here to doing some thing totally off the wall. Well not so much. If it was not for computer technology we wouldn't have smart gimbals and flight control systems. So it's a cousin so to speak.

This was done a while back, so it's all gone in favor of a off the shelf mounting system. It just goes to show how you can improvise something when you don't have what you really want or need.

Well this gimbal mount improve didn't work out. The flat paint sticks acted like elevators when in forward or reverse flight. It made the frame over shoot the steering commands in forward flight and pushed the nose down in reverse flight. I came too close to putting it in the ground a few times.

attachment.php

I came back in after that flight with my hands shaking pretty bad. I had to think of something better with less wind drag and no flight control interference. I'm a pack rat of sorts. I had torn down a couple of other models one being a coaxial helicopter that never flew right. I had one of the landing skids in my hand tapping it on my leg as I thought of other ways to make some sort of bracket for the gimbal to mount up to. DING!!! Why not cable strap a set of these skids to the underside of the bottom plate and slip the gimbal's mounting clamps on the skids?
Well some laying out and a bunch of straps later, I came up with this.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now using this camera, a CMQ1993X.

attachment.php

attachment.php

With this lens, a 1.78mm wide angle with fish eye correction. (That's a 2.8mm standard lens to the left for size comparison.)

attachment.php

Cable strapped and safety wired to the leg.

attachment.php

DVR mounted up top.

attachment.php

I got it all wired up and pulled a sharp focus using my little bench TV.

attachment.php

And all that got me the flight I wanted with no control interference.

I'm starting back on my quad rebuild today. The weather is nice and the morning temps have dropped in to the 60's. Flying weather is finally back.
I'll update this when it's finished and ready to fly.

A range of 1 mile is not unheard of. My Spektrum gear can go a mile easily.

It's the ones doing 1000+ foot runs vertically that are a small part of the hobby's problem. Those that chose to fly in airport patterns are the real issue. Although it's unlikely that a small MR could cause damage to modern jet engines with their ability to ingest 20lb frozen turkeys during testing, they do present a clear and present danger to smaller aircraft, older jet engines, and navigation in general.

It's those idiots that insist on flying out of bounds that will have the FAA lay down some stricter rules governing model aircraft.

Yeah there are a few idiots that ruin it for everyone else... people have been flying drones here within the approach and takeoff areas at Heathrow Airport, not a good idea...

Back
Top Bottom