In Runtime
When building a system like this

unRAID-3.jpg

I no you start with a case something like

CSAZ-900-Front-view.jpg

and insert these into the 5.25" bays (don't no what they are called

HD-036-BT_25556_350.jpg

My questions are

1. is there a specific type of case that you need to choose in order for theses devices to fit
2. What are the things that hold the hdd's and go into the 5.25" bays called
3. Do any of these hdd's things support big drives eg 4-6tb are these limited by there own controllers or do they just pass through the sata to the motherboards chipset

Yes I would like to add hot swap drives to all but 2 of the 5.25" drive bays in this comouter

http://online-source.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Sharkoon-T9-Value-green.jpg

As far as I no you have to remove the fans the website says it has 9 5.25" external bays

And yes that was the sort of information I was after

I would plan this build

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Pzycpg

(Not fractal case would use sharkoon case I linked earlyer)
And also a 4 disk hot swap caddy like you linked
Also a 3 disk hot swap caddy
4x4tb drives
2x2tb drives
1x120gb SSD OS DRIVE
and a fan controller

It's a file server (mainly media)

Last edited:
Most of the drive cages I have been looking at need 2 molex plugs to power
I would have 2 cages and a speed controller needing an extra molex meaning my PSU would need at least 6 molex plugs

Can you recommend any PSU tha contains this
Or can you convert sata power to molex power easily with a adaptor

Molex is a dying standard (Thank god for that)
I think you a confusing a Molex to sata power adapter for the actual input on the unit itself.
The package might include the Molex to Sata power adapter, but it's not necessary to use.

The one i linked to uses Sata power. Not Molex. It might included the adapter. But don't use that.

Last edited:
No I have some hotswap drive cages that are for sata hdd's it uses data data cables and the units hold harddrives and the unit is powered by 2 molex power plugs I have two of these meeting I need 4 molex and an additional one for my fan controller meaning at least 5 molex are required and PSU,S don't come with that many molex now because like you say it's a dying out connector

That's why I was wondering how to get more molex on any PSU

Or if there's ones with enough already

Back
Top Bottom