What type if motherboard is acer rs780hvf

I realy wanted to use windows home server for my os but haven't had any experience with it and can never get a copy to work or to have a play with it in VMware or a might have gone with that

How does your server handle plex when transcoding

And would I be able to get a version if windows home serer to run on my new build

And where could I get a copy of whs if it could

And a will send you a message once it's done let you no what happens

I tried WHS once but found it a little confusing, and you had to install the helper app on all of the PCs to get the most out of it, if I recall correctly. But some of the features like the automatic backups were cool.

I am using Server 2012 standard now, mainly because I wanted the Hyper-V for the virtual machines. So I have a couple linux vms and some windows. Gives me more flexibility.

I have Plex in a linux VM and find that it transcodes fine. I've had it transcode multiple things at once with no problem. I thought having it in a VM might hinder performance but was pleased that it didn't seem to.

I'm sure you could still find WHS online somewhere, although it's discontinued now. I would only recommend it if you really want the special features such as the backup app etc.

With Server 2012 and Win8 they have made improvements to things such as Storage Spaces. (And is still supported) I was able to get 2012 affordably with the help of a technet friend. But otherwise I'd go with a cheaper option like win 8. (Or maybe even Ubuntu if you feel up to it)

The only copy's of windows server 2012 are for £170 for a single CPU or something quite expensive for a os

Think a will stick to 7

Found the above over on toms hardware. So basically your acer mobo (and any sata mobo) should support your 4tb drives no problem.

Not entirely true. I have a $600 SAS controller that wont support 4TB drives sitting here unless it's flashed with a firmware mod. It's also about the same age as most of everything OP was looking at and talking about before. I also have plenty of NF2 motherboards sitting here that wont support a 4TB disk.

A LOT of the issue comes down to 4TB disks mostly using 512e, the sata controller firmware must support those disks, otherwise those disks will likely show up as right under 2 or 3TB depending on firmware.

Not entirely true. I have a $600 SAS controller that wont support 4TB drives sitting here unless it's flashed with a firmware mod. It's also about the same age as most of everything OP was looking at and talking about before. I also have plenty of NF2 motherboards sitting here that wont support a 4TB disk.

A LOT of the issue comes down to 4TB disks mostly using 512e, the sata controller firmware must support those disks, otherwise those disks will likely show up as right under 2 or 3TB depending on firmware.

It's something to do with the chipsets on the board isn't it

So how would you determine whether a board supports 4tb drives when they don't tell you

Last edited:
Corrosive, after a little more researching it looks like you may be right. Is there any way that you know of for sharpy to confirm or deny if the controller on his board will support the drives? I'm curious now as well.

Like a say crazy man I have been reading and talking to people for over a week about this not many people seem to no about the sata controllers I have looked at builds but can't find none with 4tb drives so a could try look at the motherboard and then compare chipsets n the MV manufactures arnt sharing this information

Corrosive, after a little more researching it looks like you may be right. Is there any way that you know of for sharpy to confirm or deny if the controller on his board will support the drives? I'm curious now as well.

So no you no what I was talking about about the sata controllers and big drives what have you managed to find out any certain chipsets that do support 4tb or anything or anyone's definitely don't

I know an 880 AMD chipset and up, and most Intel boards from about 2012 and newer support 4TB.

4TB drives didn't start to really get support till around 2012, so any board with a chipset designed before that year most likely won't support 4TB. Easiest way to figure out is to look at the board, find the chipset, and search for details on that chipset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom