What type if motherboard is acer rs780hvf

Just to clarify I plan on buying the core 3000 case put all the components into it from the acer use that setup for a bout 6 month and then strip the tower and rebuild again in the core 3000 case with completely new parts the ones I linked from PC parts picker

My only concern about reusing the acer parts for now would be the PSU and mb fitting

And when I rebuild next year it would be my new mb accepting 4tb drives

There are three factors: the HDD itself, the HDD controller on your mobo, and the OS. Over a decade ago they went to using "LBA" for disk addressing. At that time they used 28-bit addressing for LBA, which allows for a maximum size to 138 Billion bytes (or, M$ Windows calls that 127 GB).

Around 2000 that system was upgraded to "48-bit LBA Support", which allows for HDD's up into the petabyte region! All three components of the system need to support 48-bit LBA for this to work. Whether or not your mobo's HDD controller has this should be available from your mobo manufacturer's website. Look for statements about "48-bit LBA" or HDD's over 127 GB. Just plain "LBA" or "Large hard drive" is not clear enough. WARNING: If you try to use an OS that allows larger drives when the HDD controller does not, you could corrupt your drive. Basically in some situations the OS may try to write to an area above 127 GB, but the controller will fail to pass on the full address, and the write operation will happen near the start of the drive, corrupting what's there.

As another clue, ALL SATA drive systems (controllers and HDD's) support 48-bit LBA - the new system was in place when SATA was introduced, and it was built into the SATA designs. So in your case if you are installing a SATA drive, for sure the HDD and its controller will be OK.

Found the above over on toms hardware. So basically your acer mobo (and any sata mobo) should support your 4tb drives no problem.

But what about the 2.2tb limit they never state weather they go above that and I have sata in the acer and I don't think that supports above 2.2tb

I've got a few posts going on on Tom's hardware too same ones as here my name there is space monkey 12 but your the most reliable person I have spoke to sorted a few things for me now n always write back

Something to do with the chipsets on certain boards don't allow over 2.2tb drives even if you got win 7 64bit

Something to do with 32bit and 64bit and maximum numbers 32bit being 2.2tb

Last edited:
I think you're referring to the limit on mbr partitions. With GPT that limit is overcome. I have had trouble getting windows to install on a GPT partition though. That's why I have a separate small disk to for the OS, and then my raid disks as a separate gpt volume. Windows can format a secondary drive as GPT no problem, but it can be hard to get the drivers necessary to install windows on a GPT disk. hope that makes sense.

Yes I no what you mean I don't plan on installing on a hdd that big and would keep the OS drive as MBR and how is it overcome if my chipset wouldent accept a sata drive that big as a data drive what I mean is how would I no if a newer motherboard would accept it as a data drive it's complicated

Well if I what I linked to from toms hardware above is correct, then you can pretty safely assume your motherboard (with sata controller) will be able to detect drives with 4tb and beyond. After that the only limitation is the MBR partitions, which is not a problem as long as you use GPT. I think what you are trying to do will work fine.

Yes it's something to do with the lba bits it's realy common google 2.2tb limit

Ages ago it was that 16bit lba and that allowed for 128gb drives they fixed that changed it to 32bit that allowed for a 2.2tb drive then that was changed again to 64bit and that allowed for PETA bytes but no one puts it on the boards

From my understanding any standardized SATA controller has to support at least 48 bit LBA addressing, which can allocate drive sizes up to 128 petabytes. Windows will see the drive and can format as GPT, bypassing limits of MBR. A BIOS with UEFI is required to boot off of a GPT drive. The motherboard you're looking at could do this, but you aren't using a large drive as your boot device anyway, so it doesn't matter.

So it's implied that your board supports the 48bit LBA because it meets SATA specification.

Ok crazy man am going take your word for it and just hope for the best when a buy the drives thanks for you help m8 appretiate it

What rigs are you running you got any htpcs, servers, nas , gaming monsters. ?

I have a server 2012 box with 4TB raid that I use for plex, file server, backup storage. Also has a webserver and couch potato, sonarr, etc. I use Hyper-V to run various VMs for those services. And it has a nice little hot-swap bay on the front for the drives. Just a single quad core cpu and 16GB ram does just fine so far.

I stream plex to the Roku on the TV and to a couple friends' PCs. Right now I only backup the irreplaceable stuff like family photos to "the cloud." I use Mega which gives me 50GB free. Good service.

Best of luck in your build. Happy to help if you have more questions ;)

Back
Top Bottom