Will my computer support above 2.2tb harddrives

The ram and CPU don't effect the hdd's size do they I don't need a powerful computer just a data storage unit not a media streamer just a on for backup job but thearetocally is that possable to use the other parts and swap the motherboard for a better one that supports my older processor and psu at least

It's already got a 1.8ghz quad core
And 6GB RAM
plenty for a backup system just the hdd's that are not up to it

Last edited:
I did a search on your PC and still haven't found anything to answer this problem. I think partitioning the drive will help. Use a disk manager to do it.

CPU and memory has absolutely NOTHING to do with HDD sizes, it's upto the disk controller and operating system, in this case, as I said in your other earlier thread, the 700 series chipsets most likely will NOT support anything over 2TB, mostly because 2TB wasn't out till a few years AFTER then 700 series chipsets had come along.

Basically, buy a 4TB disk, doesn't work, buy a SATA controller that will fit your motherboard, and that offers support for 4TB disks.

In all honesty, instead of splurging for a different motherboard if you want 4TB disks, it really is cheaper to buy a single 4TB disk, and see if you can format it as 4TB under windows. If the board doesn't recognize it, buy a cheap SATA controller, and you are still spending less.

BTW, that Gigabyte motherboard is technically lower specced, but has a few differences to help it survive in this generation, such as the USB 3.0 controller being added on.

Last edited:
And would there be anything that would stop a sata controller for 4gb+ Being compatible with my system and how much and what would I be looking for I have never seen one before I imagine it's a card sort of like the raid card with sata ports

Now it's got even harder can some one suggest a sata controller card comparable with my motherboard and 4x4tb drives no raid and also can you still use the original ports directly on the mb as well as a sata control card

Nothing should stop an add-on controller from working on your system, it will depend purely upon what operating system that you have, as well as expansion I/O on the board that you have.

Do you have any PCI-e slots, or PCI slots open/available? How big are the available PCI-e slots on your motherboard?

Also, generally, you can use both your motherboard SATA controller, as well as an add-in controller.

Honestly, about the only cheap card I can find that supports 4TB is PCI-e X1 (you can put x1 cards into x4, x8, and x16 slots with not issues), it's a Syba SI-PEX40064 with a Marvell 88SE9215 chipset. Do not get the SI-PEX40057 as it's a RAID only card from what I am seeing.

Last edited:
The OS is Windows 7 ultimate fully updated
And yes there are Unused ports
attachment.php

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

All the expansion ports are free also what is the tiny expansion port I haven't seen that before

I may have solved one of my questions does that card you sent me fit into that little slot
And at most I would like to use 4 X 4tb Hdd's but a suppose any 4tb is better than none

My total requires storage space would be a backup of a nas that will have 16tb 4x4tb WD REDS loosing one for redundancy so about 12tb storage before formatting drives and not backing up redundancy drive

And obv a small 250gb drive maby SSD for the towers operating system n then drives to make up the 12tb needed once there are a few 4tb drives in it could be done with smaller 2tb drives to add up the remaining space needed but at 3x4tb would be nice 4x4tb great

The the Syba SI-PEX40057 PCI-e x1 controller card should work 100% fine for you. Have your operating system and regular disks connected directly to the motherboard, and have your 4TB disks connected to the controller card.

The really small black I/O slot is a PCI-e x1 slot by the way.

The the Syba SI-PEX40057 PCI-e x1 controller card should work 100% fine for you. Have your operating system and regular disks connected directly to the motherboard, and have your 4TB disks connected to the controller card.

The really small black I/O slot is a PCI-e x1 slot by the way.

That's PCI-e x2. It won't fit the x1 slot. The only one's I found in that brand name that fit an x1 slot only have 2 SATA III ports. Seems to be that way over the brands Newegg carries.

Back
Top Bottom