So.. How is Windows 10 going?

I'm actually on Win10 and upgraded all of my computers to it except one that I gave my brother.

But I know how to deal with computer; making system backups to go back to, maintain the system, getting familiar with different (new) OS's.. etc., something that not everyone can do. Just two days ago, and out of no where, the start menu stopped working, pinned MSEdge Taskbar icon turned black refusing to work, and system hangs when I go to Task Manager to check what's possibly causing this. I had a recent system image so I just got back to it since it was up to date, and I know I could have solved it even without the system backup. Some people could have pulled their hair out.

I think Win10 is still not as durable and reliable as Win7. If you don't see the need to upgrade, stay with Win7.

Just checking my grandparents laptop over and everything seems to be running all good. Just running CCleaner and Avast over it, Boy did CCleaner reg cleaner hit a pot of gold, 1574 entries to delete.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Computer Forums mobile app

I sure hope you shut off the reg cleaner on CCleaner as I have seen that hose a lot of systems and I would never recommend its use even with that shut down.
As for Windows 10 I still use Classic Start we used in Windows 8 and I made IE default as "Edge" in their own admission is not a completed project yet.

I've read posts saying that the reg cleaner in Ccleaner has messed up the registry on machines but I've run it on hundreds of machines and have never had it cause a problem. It always prompts to create a backup of the registry before proceeding so, if you do that you should easily be able to recover if it does mess up.

I agree with Rich-M regarding Edge, it's not fully cooked yet. I personally use FireFox in Win 10 and that works great. There are enough alternative browsers out there that are "fully cooked" so that one should be able to find a browser to use instead of Edge.

Last edited:
I've used the reg cleaner built into CCleaner and it's done a grand job and I've never had a problem with it, Just need to run it a few times. I've used the Auslogics one and that did damage to one of machines. Yeah Microsoft has some work to do still, They should've waited a bit longer before releasing it.

Yeah running on an infected machine is asking for trouble, Run some AV tools then run CCleaner is the better option.

One thing you all need to remember is most people can't tell if their pc is infected and even if they thought it might be they ran Norton Pc Cillan or MacAfee that told them they were clean and can't believe they are infected anyway.

I always try to remember in answering a post on a free public forum that there are "the clueless ones" out there who read posts from an experienced user and then go ahead and trash their systems based on the fact you told them you had a marvelous experience using a reg cleaner. So what an experienced user has used successfully is so far from relevant to the average user, that it should not even be posted frankly as you perform no service for the members of a tech support forum.

No tech worth listening to ever suggests the use of a reg cleaner I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom