Will my computer support above 2.2tb harddrives

hi celery it's Windows 7 ultimate reports to be 64bit

On side note I can't create a virtual disk above 2.2tb the max size a 32bit can access

I think it could be the motherboard and bios could I just swap my motherboard and keep all the other parts from the old tower I was thinking

Gigabyte GA-78LMT rev 5.0 (AM3+ Socket) 6 sata ports and supports drives bigger than 3tb

Current processor is a AMD PHENOM 2 x4 (AM2+ Pins)
I would like to also keep my current RAM PSU

so will my computer support 3TB+ Drives

If not can I replace my motherboard for a Gigabyte GA-78LMT rev 5.0
and keep all my current equipment

"In order for an operating system to fully support storage devices that have capacities that exceed 2 terabytes (2 TB, or 2 trillion bytes), the device must be initialized by using the GUID partition table (GPT) partitioning scheme. This scheme supports addressing of the full range of storage capacity. If the user intends to start the computer from one of these large disks, the system's base firmware interface must use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and not BIOS"

I do not plan on running the host OS off any of these large 4tb drives I would install a SSD or a smaller mechanical drive just for the OS so I don't need to worry about that UEFI thing

So in that case my OS would be able to use the 4TB drives

But would my motherboard be able to see these harddrives I have read if a bios isn't recent enough it won't be able to use these drives and then it wouldn't matter if my OS could or couldn't read the drives

More help appreciated

That I haven't thought of. Refer to your mobo site and look up the BIOS versions.

It's an acer board and acer have got bad customer service a spoke to them earlier they say they don't help with any upgrades because they don't recommend it because of driver issues and so on they don't publish there service manuals or tech sheets so it's pretty much in the dark as to if a can like go buy a 4tb drive n find out it don't work that's why a thought of swapping just the motherboard to a That gigabyte if everything would just fit

All I can find out off cpuz is
Motherboard : Acer
Model : RS780HVF
Chipset : AMD 780g Rev 00
Southbridge : AMD SB700
LPCIO : ITE IT8718

BIOS:
BRAND : AMERICAN MEGATRENDS
VER : RC1-C0
Date : 06/04/2009

You may be out of luck when it comes to large drives as your system is pretty old. BIOS upgrade may not be possible in your case.

What I'm wondering if you partition your drive into usable sizes it'll work but I'm not sure on that. I can't find out what's the max size the system will see.

Yes but if I could partition a 4tb harddrive into smaller chunks the bios and mb would already be able to see the drive n then a should already be able to use it all straight away what about a motherboard change like I said wouldent that solve my problems the processor and ram are fine it's only a backup machine nothing else

I don't think a motherboard change are going to make a difference if you're using the same CPU and mems.

Back
Top Bottom